• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT-800 14 bolt full floater conversion w/ disc brakes

Big T

Reaction score
By popular demand, a separate thread for this. This project has been on hold for a number of years for various reason, but the ‘94 Suburban K2500 is now mine and I hate unfinished projects. So once I finish installing the rebuilt transfer case, my attention will be on this axle coversion.

The new spring perches and snubber perches had been welded into place some years ago. The GMT-800 version of the 14 bolt full floater is about 2” wider, so you need to cut off the old and weld new ones into the proper narrower position. I have a fishing friend who works for and oil pipeline company, so it’s a given that he’s a welder.

When I pulled the axle at the pick a part yard, I had to cut the parking brake cables. Here’s what the install looks like on a living GMT-800:

IMG_3538.jpeg
And here are my cables to show where I cut them:

IMG_3887.jpegIMG_3890.jpegIMG_3891.jpeg
IMG_3892.jpeg
Memory is bad here. I’m trying to figure out how I would connect them to the existing Suburban cables and where I would get the connecting part to do that.

The GMT-800 fitting I showed is like a Y joining the shorter with the longer cable, with the longer cable then joining the PB cable.
I think that was how the cables on My 1993 was set up. I dont remember the exact configuration but the main cable from the front connected to, IIRC, the left rear and the RR Yd off of that.

Back