• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glow plugs: Bosch Duratherms or AC Delco 60G

Alright, not many fans of Kennedy here. Or is it just quick heats in general?

Admittedly he’s now much more into Duramax and more, but he did nice work on a big rework/upgrade of my diesel sub when I passed through.

And his quick heats have been great for me in the North.

Admittedly he’s now much more into Duramax and more, but he did nice work on a big rework/upgrade of my diesel sub when I passed through.

it's the quick heats. a big HELL TO THE NO!!

No issues with Duraterms / therms…whatever. Had this set in for several years. When the heads were pulled Jan 23, they inspected good and, as such, have been re-used. No winter starting woes at 20 F or below last year and I didn’t use a block heater just to see how the new heads were working out (previously heads I couldn’t get it to light off below 40F).

That said, I’ve had a set of NIB 60Gs on the shelf for a 5 or so years when the Duratherms were proving unreliable. Just in case. Haven’t needed them.

BigT, if you want these 60Gs for the new motor, they’re yours.

No issues with Duraterms / therms…whatever. Had this set in for several years. When the heads were pulled Jan 23, they inspected good and, as such, have been re-used. No winter starting woes at 20 F or below last year and I didn’t use a block heater just to see how the new heads were working out (previously heads I couldn’t get it to light off below 40F).

That said, I’ve had a set of NIB 60Gs on the shelf for a 5 or so years when the Duratherms were proving unreliable. Just in case. Haven’t needed them.

BigT, if you want these 60Gs for the new motor, they’re yours.
Thanks, but I have a set of AC Delco 60G glows on the way.

Big fan of Kennedy. Been promoting much of his stuff for years.

Just not the fast heating plugs. When they work- they are more convenient. The problem is when they fail. Doesn’t matter what brand or who sells them- by their nature they have more catastrophic failures. 5 seconds more each cold start times 1,000 starts is a lot of time saved. Until you factor in rebuilding the engine over it.

The duratherms by bosch were replaced by the 80034, and were great until they dropped all quality control. Many had the tabs breaking off, come had the tips breaking off and destroyed engines like mine did in my optimizer.
Although a good excuse for me to buy the 18:1 coated pistons with valve reliefs from TSP- doing it on my schedule with chewing on the heads would have been nice. Unfortunately, I was not the only one. One guys got spit out quickly and he had no piston damage- just a valve and destroyed the turbo. Another guy had the full nightmare: wedged between the piston and cylinder wall, ruined both. Chunked the head and shrapnel took out the turbo.

Bosch basically told all of us sucks to suck. So pretty much since they went from great to garbage- the AC Delco 60G became the only self limiting glow plug available for these engines.

Oh, they since changed the part number again to a longer one around 14 or 15 numbers long- but the failures continued along with the horrible customer service.

Pics available on my optimizer piston if you’re into horror shows.

Back