• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GL4 with Transgo Shift Kit

saberhutch

Recruit
Reaction score
Is anyone running a GL4 or other reprogrammed PCM with Transgo kit 4L80E/4L80E-HD2 or other kit? Does the reprogrammed PCM with updated shift points work well with aftermarket trans-shift kit and will kit improve durability of transmission? What about torque convertor options with 6.5…any gains to be had here? Thanks

When I got my Gl4 I was told not to use a shiftkit. Bill said it would have the effect of giving you the harshest shift possible. The GL4 uses a progressive line pressure adjustment the harder you push on the go pedal the more line pressure you get.

I agree with AK... the Transgo is designed to modify the stock trans programming; change THAT, and you get OVER-modified programming...

for what it's worth, i have heaths hp4 and was having some shifting issues with it. sometimes the shifts were very firm other times it was almost stock shift firmness. i still don't know why that is but my fix was to install a B&M shift plus kit. i now get nice firm shifting all the time. Ed

Hmm... theory 0, practical experience 2

Not having a shift kit myself, I already get a feeling about who * I * would listen to... :)

Mine is the internal mechanical kit, not the external electronic "plug in" shift modifier I would not combine that with a reflash. My trans was modifed before Bill had a decent reflash ready, but have not had any issues shifting wish with the pairing of the 2.

The chip reprogram does help the system some but it only raises line pressure a tad across the power curve.

The transgo shift kit changes and fixes many little bugs that these trannies have.

Using the Transgo in conjuction with the Chip will not be an issue. Just dont set the shift kit on KILL when installing it and it will be fine.

Shift kits are not just about shoving line pressure through the roof but instead change things such as shift timing issues that get bands,clutches and such working in harmony so the components are not wearing out due to too much cross application.

Also the shift kits will address other issues such as internal leaks or add extra lube flow to areas that may be lacking.

Some times valving is changed to correct the amount of oil flowing to an area and when it does it.
Many times servo pistons are modified to allow for better holding power.

There is a lot of things that a shift kit can and does do.

I have the Heath chip in my dually and I can feel only a very tiny difference in the shift quality from stock to the chip.

I would talk to the folks over at Transgo and get some good info from them as to what any issues might be.

These guys have been doing trannies for years and years.

Any questions you may have will likely be answered fully.

Best
MGW

All, thank you for the feedback. In addition to all of the great engine mods, I am interested in any improvements for the transmission. I am also curious about torque convertor upgrades. Is anyone running a stall convertor to improve towing capability? I am now on the waiting list for the ATT and was curious if there are transmission upgrades like a stall convertor and shift kit that will bring it all together.

Back