• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Gauge

saved 2005

Reaction score
I have a 05 Chevy that I pull a 40 ft 5th wheel with. Every time I hook the camper to the truck it causes my fuel gauge to act stupid. It can fill it and a soon as I pull off from the station it will drop a 1/4 tank in 10 miles or so and by 20 miles or so it will be around 1/4 tank and stay there for 200 miles. So I will set the trip at 200 miles then stop to fuel up and only need 12 to 15 gallons. I have a 25 gallon tank. Everything on the camper is working fine and both batteries are full. Without the camper, it works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks. :confused:

I have not seen that before. I wonder if it has to do with the sending unit location, and how it might be affected by a load? I have had my truck squatting down pretty good, but have not had the issue that you describe.

I am just throwing out ideas.

Also, if you fill out your signature line with the specs of your truck it will help the experts in trying to troubleshoot. :)

Between the sending unit and the infamous gauge clusters that tended to go wacky over time, I'd chalk it up to a bad gauge. I had gauge problems on my 04.5 LLY with the speedo sticking. It was replaced under warranty. Its a fairly common problem for certain model years.

Thanks guys, I have had 2 clusters and 1 sending unit changed under warranty, but that doesn't mean they haven't taken a turn for the worst. I do have firestone air bags that I will inflate to level off while towing, so I'm not sure if that is an issue or not. I still think a floating ground somewhere comes to life when I plug the camper in to the truck. I have a 7 pin plug in the bed that was installed by the dealer when I bought her. Maybe I need to check to see if the ground loop is correct. The plug does supply 12V power to charge the camper batteries and is located in front of the rear fender well on the drivers side close to the fuel tank. Don't know if that is relevant of not. As an Electrician, you would think I could find it. Different voltage same principal.

Back