• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel filter question

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
On my new to me truck the fuel filter has a plastic top, its all black. Did they change the filters from 94 to 97? My 94 only has a plastic nut that hold the filter down.

My listings for WIX filters show 33376 as available until current stock depleted, and 33976 as an updated version, same for both trucks.

Looks like you may have a new updated version.

Updated?........Design and/or filtering properties?.......Microns changed?

Disclaimer: This is all conjecture and opinion.

Many manufacturers are going to plastic construction from metal pieces on the fuel filters, WIX Donaldson and others.

This may be just a way to build them cheaper and maintain profit margins by the filter manufacturers. I would not expect any micron change.

the plactic one i have seen in baldwin they also list a hd ver which is all metal go to baldwinfilters.com look it up by vehicle

Seems all the old (metal) ones were made by Standyne, Just packaged in different boxes......That said, with the new (plastic) design, if they're made by different manufactures, quality control can go skechy.....

Not to mention that all the filters have gone up around $10.00 in the last year, What's up with that?

Seems I remember a thread over on the place that iirc Stanadyne had a patent or some mfg protection for thier fuel manager and that is why no one else made it the same. Baldwin probably came up with the intergral plastic cap /nut as a way to avoid infringement. ???? Might just be cheaper???? Seams up until just a few years ago all were mfg and identified as Stanadyne.

I just switched to the Baldwin filter with the plastic cap. I don't know the micron ratings, Heath recommends the Baldwin so I decided to try it. My veg flows through the stock filter and I was having trouble with flow restriction on the standard type of filter, the Baldwin clearly flows better as I'm no longer having problems. There are quite a few more pleats on the Baldwin so it has more surface area to flow through, though again I'd like to know if the micron rating is the same.

Well now that's interesting, just spec'ed out the 33376 and 33976 on the wix website. The new 33976 has a plastic top like the Baldwin unit but here is the surprise the micron rating went down:

33376 - 5 micron
33976 - 14 micron

Wix just lost brownie points for me there looks like I'll be getting around to installing a racor finally. Could not find a micron for the Baldwin BF1201

Cheers
Nobby

Seems all the old (metal) ones were made by Standyne, Just packaged in different boxes......That said, with the new (plastic) design, if they're made by different manufactures, quality control can go skechy.....

Not to mention that all the filters have gone up around $10.00 in the last year, What's up with that?

10bux? around here they went from 15 bux a pop to 28.99 a pop...... I guess its close to 10 bux... in my head it's double the price, a 30 dollar purchase makes me think about it, a 15 dollar purchace I do not. I guess its all mental.

Seems the new one eliminates the old ring.

I just switched to the Baldwin filter with the plastic cap. I don't know the micron ratings, Heath recommends the Baldwin so I decided to try it. My veg flows through the stock filter and I was having trouble with flow restriction on the standard type of filter, the Baldwin clearly flows better as I'm no longer having problems. There are quite a few more pleats on the Baldwin so it has more surface area to flow through, though again I'd like to know if the micron rating is the same.

Well now that's interesting, just spec'ed out the 33376 and 33976 on the wix website. The new 33976 has a plastic top like the Baldwin unit but here is the surprise the micron rating went down:

33376 - 5 micron
33976 - 14 micron

Wix just lost brownie points for me there looks like I'll be getting around to installing a racor finally. Could not find a micron for the Baldwin BF1201

Cheers
Nobby

Well, with that big of a micron change no wonder why the Veg flows better.....but is it worth the reduced filtration?

I'll stick with "ole reliable" as IP's are in the $800.00 - $1000.00 price range and a fuel filter is $30.00..........Then again, you can always go aftermarket, Racor, etc.

Louis, I'm using the Baldwin, not the Wix. So, I really don't know the micron rating, whether its higher or whether the added surface area is what is helping. I'll try to find out.

I emailed Baldwin and got the specs on the fuel filter, here's the text from the emails:

Nominal means the filter is 50% efficient at pulling whatever the micron is Absolute means the filter is 98.75% efficient at pulling whatever the micron is.

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: Filter Rating

Hello,

Thank you for the reply! I understand that the 9 micron absolute means that something larger than 9 can't physically pass through, but what does the 3 nominal mean?

David

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 9:26 AM
Subject: FW: Filter Rating

David,

The BF1201 has a 3 nominal with a 9 absolute micron rating.

Thank you,

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:17 PM
To: Info
Subject: Filter Rating

Hello!

Could you tell me the micron rating of a BF-1201 fuel filter for a GMC 6.5 diesel? I've been using one with good success, based on fuel pressure readings it flows fuel more easily than the other brands I've tried, but I wanted to know the level of filtration its rated for. Thanks for any help with this.

David

I'm fine with those specs. I realize many people feel 5 micron is the desired level, but to me this comes close enough and the flow is much improved over the filters I was using previously.

I emailed Baldwin and got the specs on the fuel filter, here's the text from the emails:

I'm fine with those specs. I realize many people feel 5 micron is the desired level, but to me this comes close enough and the flow is much improved over the filters I was using previously.

I sure would recommend you replumb your system with a separate veggie filter. Heated filter from Frybrid, or VegPower would really be great. You are running the risk of not purging completely the veggie from the filter manager, which can cause some significant trouble down the road.

JMHO

I sure would recommend you replumb your system with a separate veggie filter. Heated filter from Frybrid, or VegPower would really be great. You are running the risk of not purging completely the veggie from the filter manager, which can cause some significant trouble down the road.

JMHO

I appreciate the comments! I do have a separate veg filter, a heated racor before the lift pump. We plumbed it this way with the intention of changing it later, but here I am a year later running well so I've chosen to leave it alone.

I'm extremely careful and conservative with heatup and purge cycles. I won't switch to veg until I'm up to operating temp for at least 5 minutes. On purge I generally go at least 5 or 6 miles or 10 minutes, whichever is longer, so I'm pretty confident I'm 100% diesel in the manager and the rest of the fuel system. I don't even bother to switch to veg on trips under 30-35 minutes or so, I really use it for long trips where I can stay on veg for hours at a time.

I am listening, and maybe I'll start thinking about the completely dual fuel systems again.

Good info on the fuel filter. How much of a PSI gain did you notice switching?

Also, Another question about fuel filters. When they start to become clogged up, or full, do they start to filter BETTER due to the fact that even clean fuel starts to have trouble passing?

Dave, Thanks for the Micron ratings on the Baldwin.....

Matt, YES, when your fuel filter is clogged, there are definate power and divability issues.

You never felt your truck sluggish or a little fishbite, then changed the filter to find all is well again?

Also, Another question about fuel filters. When they start to become clogged up, or full, do they start to filter BETTER due to the fact that even clean fuel starts to have trouble passing?

Yes and no. While its true that as a filter accumulates stuff it may filter to a lower threshold, its also true that the pressure drop across the filter increases, stressing the filter media more which can force stuff through depending on how tough the media is.

If you had fuel pressure gauges on both sides of the filter, you'd see them read close to the same on a clean filter. Then as the filter fills up the one on the feed size would either stay the same or increase (depends on style of pump) and the filter output pressure would drop. As this difference in pressure gets larger you know the filter can't flow fuel any more and its time to change it. It would be overkill to have the 2 gauges in our trucks, just seeing enough fuel pressure on the outlet should be enough of an indicator for us, but in an industrial filtering setup you'd have gauges on both sides of the filter.

Back