• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frustrated: 06 LBZ No Crank/Start back at dealer for 2nd time.

Don't buy the ECM from the dealer. That is a ripoff, search craigslist.org or buy one from eBay.

Since they "fixed" it the first time they have should done a proper diagnostics on it. So, in another words, they should of caught the bad relay to begin with.

So you believe that they are just programming the ECM with my VIN using an EFI live license?
If so, a friend of mine already has EFI live, I just need a license. Hell I can do that myself.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well I told the current Dealer that I'll pay their diagnosis fee (~$300) and I'll take care of replacing the ECM and Relay myself, but if the issue comes back Its going back to them and I'm not paying anything for them to find the problem again.

I got a call back a few minutes ago from the service writer.
He says they may have found another issue. It looks like there was a damaged pin on the ECM harness. So it looks like the relay may have been damaged but the ECM may be ok. He is going to call me back with an update in the next hour or so.
Man, if that's the case, I can handle that. And the selling dealer is willing to pay for half the cost of repair even though it was sold as is. So I cant complain there either.
I'll update when I know more.
Thanks again for all the resources guys. I haven't been on here much after I lost my last truck in the accident, but I feel like I'm back at home now. Thanks.

Last edited:
So you believe that they are just programming the ECM with my VIN using an EFI live license?
If so, a friend of mine already has EFI live, I just need a license. Hell I can do that myself.

Yes that's what all the eBay guys are using...

like Jeff said...that is what they are using...but a license will cost you or your friend $99(unless he wants to give you his second license that came with it)...if the issue is not resolved and you still need an ECM, there is upsides and downsides to either way you go with it...If you pay to have it done the programmer probably has access to the oem calibration to your truck to program it with...not sure if anyone can get one for your friend with EFI to do yours...

the upside to your friend doing it is, once you buy your license from him, he can load tunes into your ECM ...and if he is decent with it and maybe has access to a tune library from whom he purchased EFI, you can load anything from mild to wild in it...at your own risk of course...

Well I just found out from EFI Live that in order to program a VIN into an ECM or TCM it DOES NOT require a VIN license.
So I could just borrow it to program the VIN. IF I need to get a new ECM.
Still waiting for the dealer to finish testing the rest of the ECM harness to make sure there is no other problems hidden there.

Thanks,
Jamison

You would need to use a VIN license to program the ECM with your VIN AND the correct OS for your truck UNLESS you can luck out and find another ECM with an OS that will work with your truck. If you need an ECM, I would call Guy at SOCAL diesel as I believe he can repair many of them, or contact Tony at RIDGERUNNER and get a custom tuned one. I wouldn't use killerbee myself as he has just done to many shady deals IMO(the infamous buying out of all of teh LBZ mouthpieces and marking them up 400% or whatever it was).

thanks for the info.
your not the only one to have mentioned that.
I should have an answer soon from the dealer, and if I need one, I'll be sure to get ahold of either of them.
Thanks for the references.

You would need to use a VIN license to program the ECM with your VIN AND the correct OS for your truck UNLESS you can luck out and find another ECM with an OS that will work with your truck. If you need an ECM, I would call Guy at SOCAL diesel as I believe he can repair many of them, or contact Tony at RIDGERUNNER and get a custom tuned one. I wouldn't use killerbee myself as he has just done to many shady deals IMO(the infamous buying out of all of teh LBZ mouthpieces and marking them up 400% or whatever it was).

:iagree: :hihi: :D :thumbsup:​

Forgot about that little deal...:nonod:

Nice to see we have reminders for each other from time to time...

That makes sense.
Well, she's back home tonight.
Ecm was ok. Ecm relay in the pdc was dead. They replaced that. Also found ecm pin c19 in the harness was loose and possibly caused arcing which caused the relay to fail. So they replaced the pin and tested the rest of the pins and wiring in the harness and found no other problems. I'm out $454.00. Sucks but a hell of a lot better than $1500. And the selling dealer will be splitting the cost with me.

Thanks again to all who provided info/resources. It is much appreciated, and hopefully with my new knowledge I'll be willing to try and troubleshoot it myself instead of going directly to the dealer. Live and learn.

Sent from my DROIDX

Good to here you are taken care of. Hopefully you have good luck with it.

This is the work of a great forum helping out a member in need! Excellent teamwork here guys! I am impressed. ;) :thumbsup:

Glad you got it straightened out fairly reasonably.:thumbsup: You didn't need a big hassle after all you went through in the wreck...:nonod:

Still looking for the seller I purchased from...

This is the ebay seller I purchased my ECMs from...

I don't see any diesel ECM's right now, but it'd be worth it for any future purchasers to look into this guys inventory if they are in need of one...you may even be able to contact the seller to see if he has what you are looking for...
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/spareecm/

so far so good. I'll give it 3 days and see how it holds out.
Well its been about 2 months and hasn't had a problem. So I am considering this resolved. I do appreciate the all the info and help. Turns out the first dealer that replaced the ECM most likely damaged the ECM pin, and I was able to get them to cover the repair. So kudos to them.

Back