• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Frustrated: 06 LBZ No Crank/Start back at dealer for 2nd time.

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
:frown2: Well I finally ended up with a replacement to my 06 GMC LBZ CCSB. I now have an 06 Chevy LBZ CCLB DRW. 2 Days after I pick it up with 60k on it, the damn thing wont start. Leaves me stranded. No Crank, just Security Light and Fuel gauge goes to Empty and Service Brake System message.
Call AAA for tow to dealer, 1 week later they replace the ECM, updated programming and I pick it up this past Thursday.
Come Sunday night, go to move truck to put garbage out, and once again, no start not even crank. Just security light, Fuel gauge to Empty, and Service Brake System message.
Towed back to dealer today, they think it has something to do with a voltage drop in the ignition system.

Sorry this is kind of a rant, but wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before.
Thanks.

Batteries are stock, but have shown no signs of being weak. No trouble starting, or slow cranking that I have noticed. I had an 06 before, so Im familiar with how fast the crank usually is.
Who knows, I could be wrong and one of the batteries is weak. Would the dealer be able to test that without charging me to replace them?

its bizarre, that it would be fine for 3 days then all of a sudden decide to act up. Sorry I'm just disappointed since I spent 9 months trying to find another 06 in good shape and now this.

If all the battery connections are clean my guess is that one or both are no good.

Interesting....
I did disconnect both batteries the last time this started, both were clean, reconnected no change.
Hopefully I will hear from the dealer this afternoon. I'll check with them to see if they can test or check the batteries.
If it is the batteries, then they will probably have to replace the ECM again and reprogram it since it took out the ECM last time (replaced under emissions warranty 8y/80k).
I have an edge insight monitor from my last truck and when I connect that, it just says its unable to find the VIN.
I also have an obd2 code reader thats unable to get any information from the ECM as well.

Thanks guys, I never thought of the batteries. I'll see where that gets me.
If all the battery connections are clean my guess is that one or both are no good.

The Bosch ECM's are PICKY on voltage from what the EFILive guys say. It is definitely a start.

Ok. so I'll let the dealer come up with a diagnosis today. Hopefully it will just be batteries and they will replace the ecm again under warranty.
then I can replace the batteries and all be good. I'll let y'all know what happens after I hear from the dealer.

Man after last night, I went back in the house and went to this site and realized it was down for maintenance, I was about to drag the thing back to the dealer i bought it from and leave it there with the keys. I was not happy. I have never been left stranded by a vehicle as much as this (yeah twice in 2 weeks). I have an old 89 suburban with 300k on it, still keeps kicking. Oh well. Thanks again.

Well word from service writer is that they found a dead relay in the fuse box under the hood. When they bypassed this, the truck started up, but without using the ecm. Is this possible? I thought the ecm would be required. He then started questioning the trailer brake controller and said out could be caused by that.
If it's just a relay, I have spares. But now they say I may have to eat the cost of the ecm and programming if it was caused by a bad relay. Since that's not covered under warranty.

Now I'm kinda worried. I've always trusted this dealer at least their service department but I feel like I'm being fed some bs. Can anyone confirm that this is possible.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well word from service writer is that they found a dead relay in the fuse box under the hood. When they bypassed this, the truck started up, but without using the ecm. Is this possible? I thought the ecm would be required. He then started questioning the trailer brake controller and said out could be caused by that.
If it's just a relay, I have spares. But now they say I may have to eat the cost of the ecm and programming if it was caused by a bad relay. Since that's not covered under warranty.

Now I'm kinda worried. I've always trusted this dealer at least their service department but I feel like I'm being fed some bs. Can anyone confirm that this is possible.

Sent from my DROIDX

It's impossible for the truck to start without the ECM.

Thanks 8100.
I had a feeling that the ecm was required. It controls injectors...
By the time I got to call them back, they had closed for the day. So I guess I wait till tomorrow am to get the official word and confirm what he said today was correct. I was in a weak signal area for cell phones when I was talking with him earlier which caused the call to cut out some. Hopefully I just mis understood what he said.
I hope its just the relay that they bypassed to get power to the ecm and start it. If so then I can handle that. But if the ecm is dead again, I don't have the money for that now.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well went by the dealer today. Here's what is at.....

The ecm relay had a clamping diode fail which hammered the ecm with voltage as soon as I turned off the ignition. The result of that is that the power control circuit of the ecm burned out. Because of that the ecm relay is not powered up.
So of they jump the relay (bypass it), they can power up the ecm and it starts. But since the power control circuit in the ecm is damaged, just replacing the relay will not fix it.

So it needs a new relay and ecm. Since the relay failed and took out the ecm, its not covered under the emissions warranty. They want $1482 Which I don't have. So there it sits at the dealer.

Does this make since? Is there anyway it could be covered under warranty?

Needless to say I'm not happy. I just bought the damn thing so I have no extra money since it was used for the down payment.
Sorry for the venting.

Sent from my DROIDX

How Long have you had the Truck for since you Bought it?

Also, if this Problem Started 2 Days after you Bought it, this Problem should be in the Dealers Computer, so they should know it pretty much left the Lot with a Problem, and they should Cover it under the Standard 90 Day Warranty ALL Used Vehicles come with. It's not your Fault that when the Problem Came Up 2 Days After you Bought the Truck that they couldn't Find it until now, prob. After the Warranty is Gone.

Bought it Jan 11th. (used car dealer -- not GM dealer)
Problem started Jan 13th.
at dealer from 14th-20th (Courtesy Chevrolet -- GM Dealer)
Picked up from dealer 20th.
Problem occurred again 23rd.
At dealer 24th - Current (Moore GMC -- GM Dealer)

So I didnt buy it from a GM dealer (first mistake)
And there is no used car warranty (second mistake)
Should have brought it back to first GM dealer (Third mistake)
Now no mater which dealership gets it, its gonna be ~ $1400-1500
In California there is no default 30 day used car warranty. Unfortunately its sold "As-Is No Warranty".

I found an ECM on ebay for $350 and they will program it for another $100. Its from Killerbeeperformance.com. Anyone hear anything about these guys? any good? reputable?

So far i am out the $300 at the current dealer for diagnosis (which I can understand). But I need to get an ECM and programmed for my VIN to get the thing fixed. I have extra relays from my last truck.

I found an ECM on ebay for $350 and they will program it for another $100. Its from Killerbeeperformance.com. Anyone hear anything about these guys? any good? reputable?

I've heard mixed reviews...but I don't think he's ever scammed anyone out of money...
I bought an ECM off of EBay a while back for $150(I'll try to find the user for you) and they programmed my vin and build in it for free...LBZ ECM's may be morfe expensive than LB7's though...

Killerbee is selling one now on ebay for $285+$95 programming...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

He is using EFI to program them...so I guess the cost of the vin license is what the programming charge is...

here's another for $300 shipped programmed...but the but the VATS may need to be turned off so you can start the vehicle $50 charge to turn that off...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Still looking for the seller I purchased from...

Back