• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front Wheel bearing Question

Appaloosa

Reaction score
I just wanted to double check with any one who knows that the front wheel bearings in my truck (1995 6.5TD 8 lug 4X4 with ABS) are only repairable by replacing the whole hub assembly? I checked on Rock Auto for bearings and they sell various bearing and races but are those only for 2 wheelers? Everyone on here seems to be replacing the whole hub.

I stopped by O'reilly's auto parts and they want $250 each for the hub for a precision brand, and $90 or master pro brand. can you believe this price difference!? I've heard lots of horror stories about the cheap wheel bearings. I like to replace both sides of my truck but I'm was just hoping I could press in some new bearings and avoid spending $500?

Any tips? My ABS light turned on as well. I'm assuming this is due to the bad bearing. can the sensors be cleaned/fixed? I've never had one apart yet so any time saving tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yes on your vehicle you have to replace the entire hub/bearing.

Get the made in USA Timken bearings and your best price will be at mibearings.com
Call them with your exact model as opposed to using the website, just to be sure.

Yeah. Don't go cheap. My business partner has an Excursion and he didn't want to pay $200-$300 a bearing. Went with cheaper ones and they lasted 3 months. Make sure you torque axle nut to spec.

Not only that if it fails at highway speed, and axle nut/threaded stub snaps could be very bad day, my OEM did it at 25 mph and thankfully my guardian angel was with me that day I had just been rolling 70-75 mph 500 mile trip the day before, I went with set from NAPA but found when they cam in were India parts I was in a bind & stranded so I installed those in 2009 so far so good 60K on them.

My indication prior to the complete fail was ABS lite on in middle of the trip as the bearing metal "fuzzed up" the speed sensor. Shop that did the replacement said it was a common enough failure he was well versed in replacing them

I agree on a quality Timken replacement. You might check Rockauto and if you go with them be sure to get a discount code from the 'Deal Finder' section below.

BTW, I moved this to the drivetrain section for better exposure and future search ability.

I bought new AC Delcos on Amazon for a reasonable price. Especially considering they come with the rotor mounted, Over all I believe they were cheaper than mibearing

Search my posts or maybe Amazon bearings or something. I think I posted part numbers or a link

You might have to search the 6.5 section.

If I remember correctly. Sometimes they have abandoned seprate part numbers for the 2 sides and use only one for both sides sometimes

Thanks!, I got a pair from MI Bearings. I think I ended up spending just under $400 for the pair with shipping. I didn't get the Timkins but another brand I can't remember now that are also made in USA, MIBearing said their just as good as the timkins...I hope so. their about $30 cheaper a piece.

Well I just lost a non-Timkin from MI Bearing and it was on there just 2 years and maybe 20K miles. Lost it on a fly fishing trip in CA, made it all the way to the McCloud River near Mt Shasta. On the way back down 395 in Bishop, CA it started to make a terrible crunching/squeaking noise. I was lucky that a Kragen was open on a Sunday and had the bearing and they sent me to the sole mechanic that works Sundays. 1.5 hours of labor to get it done. Water was entering between the steering knuckle and the bearing hub. Very rusted in there. Cleaned it all up and added silicone to seal it up on the install. Made it home, but I have an unknown bearing make in there now.

Back