• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

front diff ?

so as I was driving done the road yesterday I was pondering Simon's ? I had just changed the outer boot on my 1/2 shaft while I had it apart and clean I noticed the end of the shaft had a mark on it like it had been hit with a hammer I thought it was weird but didn't think to much more about it, Then it came to me as I was driving down the road that it was the same side I had been hit on a year or two ago. The incident had done 3k worth of damage to the other car but not a lot to my truck, the front wheel hub cap had been destroyed and evidently taken most of the hit. my thought was it transfered the impact thru the shaft and fractured the washer/shim.

so as I was driving done the road yesterday I was pondering Simon's ? I had just changed the outer boot on my 1/2 shaft while I had it apart and clean I noticed the end of the shaft had a mark on it like it had been hit with a hammer I thought it was weird but didn't think to much more about it, Then it came to me as I was driving down the road that it was the same side I had been hit on a year or two ago. The incident had done 3k worth of damage to the other car but not a lot to my truck, the front wheel hub cap had been destroyed and evidently taken most of the hit. my thought was it transfered the impact thru the shaft and fractured the washer/shim.
That'll do it if it happens to be a hardened washer.

didn't take a file to it to see if it was hardened but it did seem like it was cast iron. it is about 1/8' thick and almost 1/1/2"id. hoping to find a replacement tomorrow

biggest issues in finding a replacement is that it has a machined step where the snap ring on the shaft rides and it also comes in varying thicknesses to adjust endplay. so I really need to find an exact replacement

so I drove to Anch and picked up the parts I needed. got $6 worth of parts and spent $25 -$30 in fuel. Got both the updated washer and the old one the updated one is essentially 1 washer to replace 2 side by side ones. contrary to what the dealer parts guy told me it does not come in varying thicknesses. the washer on the end of the shaft is the one that comes in diff sizes and fits over the tit on the end of the shaft.

Attachments

• 008 resize.jpg
    008 resize.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 007 resize.jpg
    007 resize.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
so I drove to Anch and picked up the parts I needed. got $6 worth of parts and spent $25 -$30 in fuel. Got both the updated washer and the old one the updated one is essentially 1 washer to replace 2 side by side ones. contrary to what the dealer parts guy told me it does not come in varying thicknesses. the washer on the end of the shaft is the one that comes in diff sizes and fits over the tit on the end of the shaft.
What's the matter?,...can't find a deal on CL ???:D

So everything is back together and appears to be working including my 4wd indicator light. the broken washer must have limited the travel and not activated the switch.

Back