• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

From HX35/40 to HX40

6.5L

Old Iron Runner
Reaction score
So I've stepped the turbo up again. I was running a HX35/40 turbo before. The specs on it were a 60x83 compressor wheel with a 70x60 turbine wheel in a 12cm housing. This was an amazing turbo for in town and great low end torque, but my one complaint with it had always been high cruising boost pressure (8-9psig at 70mph/2500rpm). So I decided to step the turbo up slightly again. I went to a true Holset HX40. The specs on this turbo are a billet 60x86 compressor wheel and a 76x64 turbine wheel in a 14cm wastegated housing. Overall, the upgrade was cheap. I bought all parts outright for around $600 and was able to space them out so the price hit wasn't big. First impressions are already that I love it! Cruising boost is now down to 3-4psi at 2500rpm/70mph. Much throatier exhaust note, and the powerband is immensly greater between 2300rpm-4100rpm. This upgrade REALLY woke the truck up. Spooling with the 60/64/14 is barely slower than the 60/60/12. It rests at low boost but when I throttle down, she just goes. I gave it a hit of WMI last night and all I can say is she is a rocket ship! I can easily tell a big gain in mid-high rpm hosepower and even my torque seems much greater, even in the lower rpms. It didn't seem to sacrafice any low end at all. I am VERY happy with this upgrade and would recommend this route to anybody looking to upgrade that has short gearing.KIMG0195.JPG

Where did you get the turbo parts? Ive been thinking of going this way myself but dont really want to start with used turbo.

I gave it a hit of WMI last night and all I can say is she is a rocket ship! I can easily tell a big gain in mid-high rpm hosepower and even my torque seems much greater, even in the lower rpms. It didn't seem to sacrafice any low end at all. I am VERY happy with this upgrade and would recommend this route to anybody looking to upgrade that has short gearing.View attachment 48566
How much WMI are you giving it? Also where did you mount the nozzles?

Nozzles are mounted in my custom air plenum. 625ml/min and 375ml/min nozzles. And I sourced all my parts from Ebay. Sounds cheap, I know, but if you search it right, you can find quality parts for a good price. I ran it up to 28psi yesterday without issues. Doesn't leak. Actually, all of the parts came out very very nice. Was nice being able to spread out the cost. I bought the bearing cartridge ($50) then a quality rebuild kit that included the heat shield and 4 bolt style clamps ($35) Just for ease of install when swapping turbos. After, I purchased a good 76/64 turbine wheel (bout $180). Then I bought the wastegated 14cm housing ($265) And then the compressor housing+billet wheel combo package (about $275). After owning this compared to my 35/40 hybrid, I wouldn't recommend any other turbo than this 60/64/14

I have a 350 ml nozzle in the manifold right between 2 runners so feeding 2 cylinders. 4 altogether and it seems to be a bit much. 250 psi pump feeding them. I'd like a 120 ml nozzle but I can't find any.

Yes, high volume low pressure. Just saying i loce the magic of a big a** turbo, and they have to be way big to be too big.

Back