• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fords new diesel

I dont want to start a fight here but I wish people would get over the 6.0liter an how bad they were the early ones had there problem but 05 an up seemed to be good running motors I know a good many guys that have them an seem to like them.

My question does anyone know if you will be able to get the 6speed stick in the new trucks?

Thing is they still have problems....friend of mine switched to Cummins after multiple problems with '06 Powerchoke. His dad has one too...just over 50k and injector problems. I wish people would quit denying it. :rolleyes5:

What's with everyone kissing Fords butt. Yeah they didn't go under...that is good and I have respect for them for that. Are you guys all jumping ship or what? Who knows how good the new diesel will be...long time before we know.

Not jumping ship, I like my Gm product, the last new one I will buy as long as the government and the UAW is in ownership of GM, just giving some credit were it is due. Ford has had no problems over all than any of the big three when it comes to quality. The 6.0 has some issues with quality, that is made out of house by Navistar, sure Ford has some responsibility for the issues with the 6.0, but they did not do the design or R&D that is Navistars baby. Ford has made some great engines over the years. Every manufacturer has its share of quality issues. I was a life long GM man but, that is changing, due to the Government take over.

Ford's big mistake here is the same as GM's with the Duramax. Why make another V-8 Diesel?
In the light duty diesel trucks, Cummins is king. Yeah, I've never cared for Dodge pickups, but the Cummins is simply the best engine you can get. For the low end torque (which is usually why you buy a diesel), the straight six design is superior to the V-8.
Ford should have built a straight six to give the Cummins a real competitor. Instead, they built a Duramax competitor, leaving the Cummins in a class of it's own.
If I were in the market for a brand new diesel, Dodge would be a serious consideration, but the ONLY reason is the Cummins.

I won't buy another new car or truck from the government owned car companies (GM or Chrysler)...Looks like a Ford may be my only choice if ever I do...so I hope the Scorpion is a success!

I won't buy another new car or truck from the government owned car companies (GM or Chrysler)...Looks like a Ford may be my only choice if ever I do...so I hope the Scorpion is a success!

I have to agree. Ford sure has peaked my interest again. I do have three.

Ford's big mistake here is the same as GM's with the Duramax. Why make another V-8 Diesel?
In the light duty diesel trucks, Cummins is king. Yeah, I've never cared for Dodge pickups, but the Cummins is simply the best engine you can get. For the low end torque (which is usually why you buy a diesel), the straight six design is superior to the V-8.
Ford should have built a straight six to give the Cummins a real competitor. Instead, they built a Duramax competitor, leaving the Cummins in a class of it's own.
If I were in the market for a brand new diesel, Dodge would be a serious consideration, but the ONLY reason is the Cummins.

They build V-8 Diesel's so they act, feel, and drive more like a gasoline V-8 engine.

Have you ever ridden or driven a dodge(Cummins) Diesel truck? They act, feel, and drive nothing like a powerstroke or a duramax.

They build V-8 Diesel's so they act, feel, and drive more like a gasoline V-8 engine.

Maybe that's what people want.
I guess for me, I don't mind a diesel that feels like a diesel, as long as it performs like one too.
I think if the idea is to make diesels more mainstream, and compete with the gassers for sales, they would need to make them cheaper too. Right now, diesel pickups are sold to those who specifically want diesel pickups.
Yes, I've driven Powerstroke's, Duramax's & Cummins'. The Fords I've driven are at the bottom of that list. Hopefully the Scorpion will be a big improvement.

I too hope the new scorpion is a sweet Diesel.

I plan on doing a test drive when they do come out! :thumbsup:

I agree. I hope the new ford engine will be better then the previous engines but I have this feeling it will not hold up like people think also it seems like it is way to complex for being a diesel. I guess we will find out....

Maybe that's what people want.
I guess for me, I don't mind a diesel that feels like a diesel, as long as it performs like one too.
I think if the idea is to make diesels more mainstream, and compete with the gassers for sales, they would need to make them cheaper too. Right now, diesel pickups are sold to those who specifically want diesel pickups.
Yes, I've driven Powerstroke's, Duramax's & Cummins'. The Fords I've driven are at the bottom of that list. Hopefully the Scorpion will be a big improvement.

I drive a semi and after I am done working I do not want to drive a pick up that feels like driving a school bus........ Big reason why I bought an automatic.

After having had a Cummins ISX I will never again buy any cummins product ........ ever .... (this has got to be the biggest POS semi engine ever built, should have stayed with CAT.)

I don't know about this new engine but the last F350 I drove was a king ranch crew cab dually 4x4 with a 6.4L and automatic..... that day i also drove a crew cab duramax dually and a whatever dodge calls their crew cab dually. After I drove the Ford I was like holy crap!!!!! this is a diesel !?!?!? it felt more like a lightening.

You gotta remember, the market is based on what the consumer wants. If the consumer wants a vehicle that gets incredibly high fuel milegae, the auto makers will have no choice but to go with the mainstream, or end up like fish in a barrel. Look at the Gm trucks with there IFS setup compared to the Dodges and Fords with Straight Axles. Like Anubis said, after driving his semi, the last thing he wants is a truck that feels like a bus. I'm not saying the consumer mainstream for diesels all drive semis and thats there reason, but they want a vehicle that is quiet and rides like there wifes car.

I personally couldn't care less. I LIKE my diesel truck to be loud while idling and driving. I want people to know its there. I LIKE my truck to ride like a truck. It should feel strong and sturdy. Not like a car. I LIKE my truck to roll coal when I mash the go pedal.

But there in lies the problem-Everything I just said up there is the exact opposite of the consumer mainstream. The consumer wants a quiet, easy riding, and clean smelling truck. And unfortunatly, if Diesels are to really become mainstream in the U.S. somebyodys gotta give. And it wont be the Consumer. In the end we all lose. The automakers are forced to design vehciles based on the demand and there competion while being gang banged by the government for ever increasing noise, and emmisions standards. And we as the consumer get screwed over by things having to be constantly changed for "improvments and upgrades" then getting forced by the federal government to maintain there laws.

Minus well add this to the mix while I'm at it too. The 6.0 Powerstroke isn't a bad motor. The problem with it was that it was rushed. The 7.3 was a very succesful motor and I think we can all come to a civil agreement that the 7.3 is arguably one of the best diesel engines ever made for a truck. But the federal governments immediate call for an engine that met higher emmisions standards and was quieter forced Ford/Navistar to design a new motor. Hence came the 6.0 that everybody is so willing to bash. The 6.0, despite its many flaws, is a GREAT motor. The problem is, like I said, was that it was rushed. Haste makes waste and thats what happened there. If you know your diesels and you step back and actually LOOK at the 6.0, you will realize that it really is a good motor at heart and the thoughts where there, it was just rushed to be finished.

It doesn't make up for the many faults and problems that the motor had, and the majority of the population will always say how the "Ford 6.0 Powerstroke was there biggest failure of a motor ever", but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Back on topic - I'm definatly exicted to see where this thing goes once it comes out. I'm sure it will have its problems here and there but I am quite excited to finally see it unveiled. I'll be sure to test drive both the DMAX, Cummins and Powerstroke to compare them all and see how they do.

So it's like the cancelled small DMax with the reversed intake and exhaust setup. I didn't see anything about running a SCR/urea setup but I bet it will to meet2012 emissions.

If I can ever afford to buy another new diesel truck, it will very likely be a Ford.

It's interesting that a year ago, that phrase would have been blasphemy coming out of my mouth. (I have never in my life owned a Ford product - I have been GM all my life, until recently) -- However, I refuse to buy anything from communist motors. So bye bye govmin't motors, you will never get another cent out of me! :mad5:

I don't think I will ever buy a new truck......too dang expensive

That plus the new trucks are built cheaper every day. Have you felt the sheet metal on the new chevy's? Flimsy junk! If I get another truck it will be older, not newer!

Back