• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First diesel luv

bleeder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not much of a forum guy here, but this seems to be a good one. Bought my first diesel as a weekend hockey/family truckster for me and the four kids after wifey had an affair and moved out with the kids; then bankruptcy and minivan repo'd. It was clear I needed something cheap that I could work on (many years ago I did a little drag racing, all our race cars wore bow ties). I was trolling on craigslist for Suburbans when this vision appeared on my screen:

Picture 1.jpgPicture 2.jpgPicture 3.jpgPicture 4.jpgPicture 5.jpgPicture 6.jpg

While I am still bitter and have sworn off romance, I knew I had to have her. The listing said it ran and moved but needed some work to make it ready for the road. They wanted $1,800. Even though I was flat broke I had to go and look. She was living at a boat dealer and was being used as a lot truck. The original owner had special ordered her in '96 and I was told that she was retired from road use two years ago when the dealer maintenance reached something north of $30k. Well, it wouldn't start when I got there. I hung out for a while not knowing for sure what I was looking at and they came down a good amount in price and promised to get the dealer maintenance records. I went back a week later and, of course, they had not gotten the records. Late Thursday afternoon before the Fourth of July weekend I counted off five Benjamins and she was mine. Now I had to get it out of there.

A week later a friend and I went to try and get it started. The left side battery was nearly dry and the positive clamp was loose on the battery post as well as on the bare cable ends. Jumped it from another vehicle and the engine turned over well and tried to start. But, it felt like something was missing - there was no vibration when I turned the key to the on position. Time to check out the lift pump. Couldn't believe it, the wiring harness was not plugged in. After we connected it, the engine fired right up and has started every time since. Then I drove it off to begin the process of taking off the rough edges.

This ended up being a long story for an introduction. I have already learned a ton from everyone here and taken advantage of the great products offered by Leroy Diesel and PT Wiring Solutions - thank you Leroy and Bruce. I look forward to following all of your projects and learning what I can.

Welcome!

:thinking: Although your word play on a Chevy "Luv" pickup :firedevil: Had me thinking about a cliff, can of expensive liquid fire, and some road flares just to be sure. One is never that broke for that long to have to own one of those.

A 6.5 on the other hand can be a higher class of "frugal".

welcome to the site!

Great find, even better buy, and It looks like you found the right vendors to deal with right away. Sounds like you are having VERY good luck so far. put a matched set of good hot dual terminal batteries in for sure!

Take care of these ol gals, and they will take care of you. They have a damaged reputation, and are just looking for a chance to prove it wrong. My trucks have served me very well, and havent cost me very much either. They get great MPG which is very important to me.

What state do you live in? looks like you are in a rust free/ low rust area, so that is good. Did the truck body get away from being "yard goat" without any dents?

Thanks everyone. Yes, GM Guy, luck has been good other than a few mistakes I've made. The batteries that were in it are almost new Intersate MTP-78DTs which I plan to run until they die. They seem to be doing well so far - after getting a little water into them. I think that the one sat on a charger for too long.

I'm in the northern part of Virginia and I don't see anywhere near as much rust as I did when I grew up in Wisconsin. "Yard goat" damage is minimal. All the lights worked as well as the wipers, I couldn't believe it. I did have to replace the windshield but found a new one for $150 installed with a minor defect (that I can't seem to locate).

Looking forward to having this Suburban in my fleet for a while.

Back