• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fellow Suburbanites... how's your mpg doin'?

knkreb

The Bus Driver is here!
Reaction score
First fill up at 200 miles... 16.1 mpg. Highway miles, holding steady to the speed limit (with a little fun in between).

3.73 "F" engine. What say ya'll? About average?

Soot trap still intact with GM-8 turbo. No other fun stuff yet.

Looking for efficiency and LONGEVITY... not the 1/4 mile time.

That is what my Tahoe got. These guys that claim 22mpg...IDK. None of mine ever got that. I got exactly what you are getting. I'd gut that kitty though. Ever actually look in that thing ? Talk about restrictive.

I saw the last soot trap... can we say delta P across that? I does make a difference in the smell out the tail pipe. Diesels are immune to emissions here in DE, so soot trap delete isn't a problem.

My 2 WD 1500 in my signature pictured in my avatar gets run about 400~500 miles weekly, unloaded empty mostly expressway cruise set at 70mph mostly & prolly about 20% city driving. I avg 19mpg with it, I check the mpg every fill up.

Just got back from a fishing trip, 20.7mpg on the way up (my cousin drove 250 miles of that tank & he don't use the cruise & is on & off the go pedal constantly), I drove the entire trip home & with cruise set at 75mph mostly & AC on & got 22mpg.

I do have custom chip in it, along with the 4" DE exhaust & K47 air box with amsoil blue nano ac filter. On the way up I ran 1 qt TC3 2 cycle oil per tank full & on the way home 1 qt of non detergent 30wt oil per tank of fuel.

mines pretty heavily modified and needs new injectors but it gets about 14 usmpg. that's probably 70% city and i drive it pretty hard. pure highway it gets closer to 20 usmpg or so but it's got 3.42s so your probably right in the ballpark.,

Hey Kev,

840 miles slap full to sucking air in my on the 42 gal tank in my burb with GM-8 & TM, 4" exh, Heath Flash, @ 3:42 gears 2wd so that is 20 mpg I've had a few 24 mpg runs running 55-65mph for long stretches, now that I have the ATT on it, but it's been in body swap mode for almost 2 years so I never got a good read on it after the ATT swap, but if it follows the +mpg I got on the truck I expect to see 22+ mpg as my normal mpg.

All highway I'll see a hair under 20mpg that's with 3.42's and a bunch of tools in the back. Pretty much 60-65 mph speeds and I do not really have a lead foot so to speak.

It seems like my average is around 18 mpg. I have a percentage wise more highway than city driving in my normal routine. Funnily enough I have a log of every fill up since I got the truck perhaps I'll get off my arse and officially compute all the numbers one of these days.

Cheers
Nobby

That's my old '95 rig with 4.11s and 4wd and it got 16 to 18 at 70 to 75 mph.

My '99 with 3.73s and 4wd, ATT, Heath GL4, no soot trap, etc. gets 16 mpg tops.

75-80mph=14mpg for my 'burb w/ 3.73's

Have you corrected the speedo for the wider and I presume taller tires? Or is the speedo accurate. If not then youre going farther than what odometer says, and speedo probably reads a little low at high speeds. What is the tire height, the second number determines the tires ratio of height to width.

That's my old '95 rig with 4.11s and 4wd and it got 16 to 18 at 70 to 75 mph.

My '99 with 3.73s and 4wd, ATT, Heath GL4, no soot trap, etc. gets 16 mpg tops.

That almost seems backwards... I would think that the 4.10's would be lower than your 3.73 rig....

When I first got it completely stock minus #9 resistor, 16-18mpg with stock 16x7 steels and 305/70 tires.

After a small lift, 17x9 H2s, 305/70 Maxxis Bighorns, hipop injectors, CAI, Heath TM, 4" exhaust (no soot trap) it actually dropped to 14mpg average.

I am seeing 13mpg pretty regular with all city driving... and everything on my 15 mile commute is up and down. I am hoping to see a jump with new injectors, but am pretty satisfied considering what I am driving. I have not been on the interstate in this beast in awhile to get a full tank read.

So, the million dollar question for those who have scientifically recorded it... what's the improvement so far with a fresh set of STOCK injectors (Hi Pops too just out of curiosity)

Back