• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed CA smog inspection with aftermarket items!

How can A snap test be accurate? My 03 cummins will roll some coal snapping it like that!!! let alone my 6.5s......when my cummins smokes it makes my 93 6.5 look like it sneezed.....And they cant test like a regular gasser(they sniff the exhaust dont they for C02 and stuff like that???)? Glad I dont have none of that to mess with here where i live!!!

Not that I know of, I guess you could hand them a liability form that says you will only allow them to test it that way if they agree to pay for a blown up engine.

Won't happen. either you do the test or no sticker. They don't give a f if they blow your truck up. Matt, your flex plate was from snowplowing. it's common.

What if they refuse and you can't get your "sticker"?

Seems like a "catch 22"....

I know it was wishful thinking besides this is a CA truck home of the air Nazis, if they mandate a test and damage your vehicle in the process they should be held responsible for said damage, or come up with a valid test that does not put our vehicles in jeopardy, at a minimum we should be the ones behind the wheel if they don't know how to operate it without damaging it.

We give our government entities far too much power and no accountability when they do us harm.

Here in wonderful Az, they make you snap the throttle yourself, that way the state can say they arent liable, you did it.

Dont see why you dont just screw a block of wood to the backside of your peddle for the test tho....

In Ontario they start it... Idle for 30 Seconds and you cant have smoke for more than 5 consecutive seconds...
I could literaly Drive by and wave and pass the test

my uncle owns his own repair shop and does my anual inspection....all he does is plug it into the computer and as long as it doesn't throw any codes (which it won't thanks to my edge race) I get my inspection sticker.....In NY there is no "sniffer" test for a diesel

I watched the first snap test done on my truck. The guy doing the test told me "I don't have a pipe big enough to fit over your stacks. I told him "can you shove it in the stack?" He goes "yea that'll work". I took it as there's a machine that checks the opacity of the exhaust. Not sure how though. Perhaps some sort of light source and a sensor on the other side to see how much light makes it through the exhaust stream? :confused:

Either way higher RPM doesn't matter for my truck. I have it at 3K at least once a day. Now my blazer rarely ever hits 3K. 2,500 RPM max there, and it's the one with the lifter issues. :rolleyes5:

As did mine with 12,000 GVW.

Someone needs to make up a batch of those no catalyst stickers.

Matt, is that what it says on the door or what you have it licensed at? I thought all the 3500's were 10k and the HD's were 15k

Well I passed the CA test back in January with the '99 with the ATT, GL4 and a punched out soot trap. If they give me problems in the future (doubt it as we know the shop), I'll just get an ATT for the '95 and use the GM4 plus vac pump to pass the test on the '99. I'd just keep the GM4 and vac pump in storage for the test every two years. :rolleyes5:

How can A snap test be accurate? My 03 cummins will roll some coal snapping it like that!!! let alone my 6.5s......when my cummins smokes it makes my 93 6.5 look like it sneezed.....And they cant test like a regular gasser(they sniff the exhaust dont they for C02 and stuff like that???)? Glad I dont have none of that to mess with here where i live!!!

Because the snap test is all the engine was held to for emissions.

The CA mess is why auto makers want 1 standard not lets play who can pass a tougher emissions law. CA still lets farmers burn stuff in an open field and CA does not have control over their yearly forest fires. When everyone drives an electric car there... CA has reached a point of bankruptcy and their air is still bad in the central valley. Overpopulation and mountains trapping the bad air will not be solved by vehicle emissions alone. They have tried for 30 years and you can still see the air as a cloud coming over the Tehachapi mountains...

I watched a special on PBS about CA air quality. It was quite enlightening. They said over the years as they made air pollution laws stricter they could watch the levels come down. But a few years ago it started going back up. They made the laws tougher, still went up. So they rigged up an airplane to fly around and sample the air quality to see if they could tell where it was coming from. CHINA so we farm out all our jobs because it's enviromentally friendly not to manufacter here. And we still get the pollution. And we wonder why we are having problems

China is one huge reason why we should never agree to any Global Warming restrictions. They'd have us pulling rickshaws while they'd be tooling around in H1 Hummers with GEP engines.

Back