• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine swap- no start

CUCV

Reaction score
- Year: 1998
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) K2500 Sub
- Automatic or Standard 4l80E
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) truck- 140K, engine <20k
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc)
swapped existing Injectors from motor (changed at 125K) PMD replaced in June and relocated. IP replaced in 2007 under warranty. NEW Starter. NEW OSD.

- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) pump diesel from truck stop
- What fuel additives are you using? FPPF RV/BUS
- Where are you located? Allentown, PA

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter _________NEW
- Fuel filter _________NEW
- CDR Valve? _________NEW
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at _____________NEW
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at ___________NEW 15/40 Rotella
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at NEW
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): cleaned and checked
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? NEW What type? DELCO
- Injectors - last changed at 125K

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? motor swap
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? Fuel System- YES Started right up and ran fine.
- Has this problem ever happened before? Umm- no, 1st engine swap
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) ____ And? ________ NO CODES

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? _________NO
1b] Does the engine crank over? _______YES
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? YES
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? YES
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? YES- few sec
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? _________ For how long? _________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? BLACK
1h] Does the Service Engine Light Glow during Start/bulb check? YES

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? YES
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? YES
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? YES___________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out? YES
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? ___________Not now, but I did before the engine swap- hasn't run yet.
3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) remote
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? PMD Cable
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. 0.9 Ohms
3d] PMD Make: D-Tech___________
3e] PMD Age: June 2009

I just changed out the engine and used the existing LP and injectors as they were known running fine. Block was cracked- engined changed for that reason. Engine cranks fine, fires a few and then dies. Cracked every injector and cranked until fuel came out. Scanned repeatedly. Only codes that showed up was when I tried to start after unplugging Optical Sensor and Crank Sensor. Neither allowed to start. Tried both and independently. After those codes cleared, no new codes. Place clear hose on injector return line. Air noted, but does not seem to be replaced by new fuel. I have no known "GOOD" PMD to swap, but I am wondering why a remoted PMD would fail immediately after engine swap when it is a few months old. Truck drove into shop. It seems like there is a "starting" mode that works and a "running" mode that doesn't. Don't know if that makes any sense. Have been cranking with cooling breaks from 5-11 PM with no change. I'm obviously not familiar with the electronic controls of this injection system and seem to think that's a problem. Last thing I checked was pump solenoid and it clicked. I'm baffled. Before I buy another PMD to hope and see I'd like to pick some of your brains.

Last edited:
Did you hear this engine that you swapped in run before you put it in this truck? Is the IP on the mark on the timing cover? How long had this engine been sitting before you put it in?[dry cylinders will make little compression] Are you positive the glow plugs are working?[check for power at the connectors] Try spraying wd-40 or similar into intake while cranking. See if it will run on that.

You probably missed a ground. If its same as OBD1s check for two on the top of the engine near back of passenger side, one on intake stud and another on coolant blockoff plate. Then there is a third on the back of the engine near filter manager.

There might just be one dangling behind the block.

You might also try a security reset since there was a chip installed. Turn the key on and bump the starter and let the key return to the "on" position. Leave in the on position till the security light goes out on the dash then turn the key to the "off" position. repeat 3 times then it should start if that is the problem. Hope this works

Heyman- My brother told me he remembered some goofy security reset procedure he had to do on a Malibu and asked me if my truck was similar. He's a good mechanic but doesn't really know (or care to know) diesel particulars. He helped me throughout the engine swap. He brought up the concerns bk95td brought up and we went through and ruled out the major mechanical disaster. The seller of the engine did test run prior to sale. I had no way to run the engine out of the truck.

It just seems like the fuel is getting "shut off" for lack of a better term.

I am going to try the security thing.

I have the PMD I took off the truck before I relocated and it did run so I'll try swapping that out, too.

I have 3 grounds near on backside of engine. 1 large black one (i think that's glowplug circuit) and 2 smaller ones of (maybe white w/ black stripe and yellow or orange color? I'm partially color-blind so the vibrant colors aren't as vibrant in my eyes)

We'll see. Thanks all. I'm just getting to my wits end here.

the security check should fix you up. you are probably getting minimal pressure but only from your lift pump enough pressure to bleed the lines to the ip if that makes sence.

Well, I followed the instructions and the SECURITY light never went out. I put my scan tool (very cool- 1st time using it) on and no codes in memory. It did, of course throw tons of random codes that weren't there after a KOKO reset. At any rate, I did notice that it did throw a P1626 and a U1000 code a few times. This would seem like a security thing and the symptoms seem consistent, but the scan tool says the code could be due to incomplete testing. I disconnected ALL the grounds I could find and checked and cleaned them- including the batteries. I also swapped out another PMD that was working with no change. I'm stumped and my nice bay with a lift won't last forever. Not sure what to do next.......

I'm double-checking everything.

I read in another post about adding oil to cylinders to ensure they aren't dry (like bk95td asked about) Best oil and way to do this? Thanks!

Last edited:
So this is weird. In a fit of desperation, I put the headlight fuse back in that I removed because I figured the daytime running lights would accelerate battery discharge. Damn thing started right up. Runs great.

I can only imagine that circuit has something to do with the BCM as well....

No codes on the scan tool.

Life is good again......

The big orange candy-like 40A maxi fuse. If I had the truck here, I'd go out and look to get the exact name on the cover. It was headlights or lights or something like that and when removed the daytime running lights turned off.

At any rate, the truck has a disabled aftermarket security system that never gave me any trouble so I let it alone and I'm wondering if they got power off the circuit.

I can't think of any reason the BCM or anything else for that matter, has power fed from that circuit.

I'm gonna track down the schematics and take a look see.

Back