• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine oil cooler

Taking a guess here… but I would think do the coating, but use a simple block off plate at the gasket would do between than filling with the aluminum then having everything uncoated.

My guess for this is more from experience in sbc gasser engines. Just the sealing off of the chamber at the manifold junction stopped a lot of heat.
Then the coatings function as a bearer there as well.

Obviously cost of the two needs to be weighed.

Taking a guess here… but I would think do the coating, but use a simple block off plate at the gasket

Simply blocking with the intake gasket does nothing, the 4" passage is still filled with hot ex gasses and is a large source of heat, filling is a sure fix not a warm fuzzy feeling that ya did something to help.

Does the thermal expansion rate of aluminum vs. cast steel come into effect if the cavity is filled then repeatedly cycled?

Also, does thermal conductivity have an effect since aluminum is a good heat conductor? For example, when hot, it seems that the aluminum could cause a more "stable" heat situation than open air in the cavity once exhaust gas temperature started to decrease in that the temperature could come down slower (but the other side is that the initial increase in temperature could be much slower as well).

I've not really given much thought to this before, so I'm trying to get a better understanding.

Absolutely a filled port is better than a blocked port. Not saying it is anywhere near as good. But a blocked port is better than an unblocked port.

Yes aluminum expansion rate is greater than iron, and happens quicker. But does it get hot enough, fast enough to expand and do damage? No.

Yes there might be are materials to fill with. Like if you do a partial fill with aluminum next to the valves where heat is the highest, then do a plastic or resin fill where the the temps are not getting above 400 (best resin I know is like 550 capacity) and the resin works as a better heat insulator. Another option is ceramic fiber filled near the intake portion above the aluminum. But doing this method is far more expensive than just aluminum, and is more labor intensive as well. The fiber materials are used in blast furnaces- so handles the heat like its nothing. Making it stay in the new happy home becomes the task.

Same thing for people doing furnace cement as the filler. They do a little aluminum to start the seal and close temps, then fill with furnace cement. That works ok on most the gas engines because they don’t break that 1100 or 1200 temperature range. But our heat monsters… idk.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go forward with the coatings of chambers and the runners. The only part I'm still up in the air about is the filling of the EGR port.

Now that this is mostly out of the way, it sounds like a factory size oil cooler should be fine for my application?

Back