• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax/ ZF6 vs. Duramax/Allison computer compatibility

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking at a ZF6 2wd version from behind a duramax.

The story goes the guy has a dually d-max zf6 2wd with a spun bearing, and is advertising the tranny and rear end. since the truck wasnt wrecked, I tried to buy him out of it, but, alas, he wants to make a d-max allison 80s chevy crew cab, and some contraption with the rest. It sounded like i could have tried to find him an equally equipped rig, but with an allison, and traded him rigs, but he didnt want to do that.

So the tranny is still for sale, and I figured that if i cant get a d-max ZF6 truck, I might as well make a d-max/ZF6 C3500HD someday, so I should probably buy the tranny and all other parts that are manual specific.

Soo, after this informative rant, I ask you guys the main question: what computer differences (engine computer, PCM, etc, any sort of brain) are there between a D-max/Allison, and a D-max ZF6? do I need to talk him out of the engine computer as well if I am to try and do a d-max/ZF6 swap into a C3500HD? or is the computers the same, and I just need to get the mechanicals?

you will need an ecm calibration from a zf6 truck of that year. so the ecm is not looking for any communication from the tcm.

so EFILive should be able to make it work with no issues? I take it there is no physical differences (plugs, etc) just how the program is written?

Back