• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually to SRW....

Davediesel3

Reaction score
Thought I would post here in hopes of "seeing" more traffic.........

I know the drill....(if you want a SRW, sell the dually and go buy a SRW):nono: Don't want to give up all I have done to this one so.........:chillpill:

Looking for some one that would want to trade all necessary parts to change my truck to a SRW. Lookin for a nice solid long bed (mine is, but not perfect), preferably some custom 16" wheels (tires not important mine are going to need replaced but will get you by for the summer or you could keep your tires) I have the tools to do the swap.(tire mount and balance would have to be done at a local tire shop)

Just don't NEED the dually, want to change it up a bit, and honestly, the tire cost savings wouldn't be so bad either...

Message me if you want to try and work it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I'd almost trade you trucks, except my '93 is minus a few doors.. :)

Scour the parts yards, sometimes good parts could be had.

If you know a body man, have the bed sides switched out?

Not sure how the front hub extensions would come off, never messed with a dually front.

Suppose the dually helper springs could stay on there. (my SRW has just the single leaf pack)

Bolt on a set of 'PYO's" and it's off to the races.

Thanks for the replies (and the link). Wife won't let me buy another truck, she says there is enough junk laying around and we do NOT have the money to throw away on it so..... That is why I am trying to find a nice "trade the parts" deal. I have the ability to do the body patching if I have to but hoping to not have to do that much body work, was already planning on painting.

As for the front, just have to unbolt the adapters and bolt on the other wheels. And my rear suspension is FULL air ride no springs so whom ever might do the swap would not be upgrading their suspension(not giving up my air ride) just going to a dually.

Damn I'd almost trade you trucks, except my '93 is minus a few doors.. :)

Scour the parts yards, sometimes good parts could be had.

If you know a body man, have the bed sides switched out?

Not sure how the front hub extensions would come off, never messed with a dually front.

Suppose the dually helper springs could stay on there. (my SRW has just the single leaf pack)

Bolt on a set of 'PYO's" and it's off to the races.

You wouldn't want to just switch parts w/me? Of course I'd want to "see" what your truck looks like......

I keep thinking about doing that with my 82 dually, only because there is nothing out there for tall skinny tires. If it was a four wheeler I could easily score some 35-37s for it and make it look cool. BUT, the main reason I bought the truck was because I've always wanted a fleetside dually without the fenders. I think the front axle is pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure where my rear wheels would end up, having the narrow corporate axle.

On my srw to dually convert, what I did was use a spacer adapter that was hubcentric on the srw FF axle. Can't remember how thick it was. The front is just another bolt on adapter. I would have switched out the whole rear axle, but non were available for a reasonable price when I did mine.

Just make sure you get an 8 bolt version. Six bolt axles are 14 bolt SF axles, not as robust as a 14 bolt FF axle (1 ton gear)...

Just be aware if looking that an 8 lug can be a SF also. So go by the axle itself not the lug number.

Cheers
Nobby

I'm pretty sure the width of the dually axle is greater than the SRW axle.

You would think that, but the dually is narrower and the cab/chassis is even narrower than the pick up dually.
Been there, done that got the Tshirt :hihi:

Last edited:
Just did a quick search. From what I have found the SRW axle is 66" flange to flange. The dually pickup axle is 74" flange to flange. The dually cab and chassis axle matches the SRW axle at 66".

Those numbers are for the newer body style trucks. Maybe the trucks out of the '90s were different, but I can't see how the inner wheel of the dually would not hit the wheel well unless the axle mounting flange were further toward the outside of the truck.

Must be the offset of the wheel. I can only tell of my personal experience. When I did mine I hit the junk yards hard with the tape measure. On the obs the cab/chassis frame is also narrower than p/u's. I don't have a clue what the newer body styles are.

Back