• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

doing the pitman arm

flyinvega75

Reaction score
I did my pitman arm today an it was a pain in the arse. But I would have to say without searching for other peoples tips and tricks I would not have done this as quickly as I thought did. Only two hours and all data says an hour and a half and they say nothing about removing steering box. So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has ever put their two cents in about this job you guys are great.

Thanks dka99burb. I took both wheels off took both tie rods out. Disconnected pitman arm and idler arm took out link unbolted steering box shifted box up and toward engine supported the box with small piece of 2×4 ratchet strapped box to frame used crescent with big ass breaker bar from front of truck to get nut off the shaft then used pitman arm puller and impact to get pitman arm off and she was on there tight.then just reassembled in reverse order not to bad but idler arm will be a ton easier as long as I'm not cheap and buy the bracket as well. So go ahead and use this method it worked wonders for me thanks again everyone. And don't forget to swear at it every chance you get it always seems to work for me.

As I was doing his as part of tightening the steering box, I just popped the pitman off the center link and pulled the steering box out, but remove the pitman nut before loosening and removing the box. Put the pitman puller on and go at it with the air impact wrench. If that don't work, a few blows with the BFH will knock the pitman arm off.

Big t idk how the suburban frames or radiator support is but I couldn't get a wrench on the pitman arm bolt while the steering box was still attached to frame just didn't seem like enough room that's why I used 2×4 to support it and ratchet strapped it to the frame.

I have a large, 1 5/16" box wrench that fits on pretty easy. I used a leg to break the nut loose. I tried Thefermanator's suggestion to under idler bracket and the pitman and rotate it forward. No matter what I did, I could never find a position where I could get the impact wrench, or the pitma pulled on it. So I bolted the box back up, popped the pitman from the center link, and then removed the box with the pitman arm on it.

I guess there's not than one way to skin a cat.

Yea I guess there isn't thanks for your insight as well I'm sure this will be helpful to someone in the future. That might have been part of my problem as well I didn't have a 1 5/16 wrench and wasn't about to go buy one just for this job. Its easy to be cheap when there isn't a whole lot of money in the reserves.

Sorry for the terrible spelling as I posted that from the iPhone. Here it is after editing:

I have a large, 1 5/16" box wrench that fits on the Pitman nut pretty easily. I used my leg to break the Pitman nut loose. I tried Thefermanator's suggestion to undo both the idler bracket and the Steering box and rotate the box forward. No matter what I did, I could never find a position for the steering box where I could get the impact wrench, or the Pitman puller on it. So I bolted the steering box back up, popped the Pitman arm from the center link, and then removed the Steering box with the Pitman arm on it. Swapped the Pitman arm onto the '99 steering box and re-installed that.

I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Now that I have the experience, I could remove the steering box and idler bracket in under an hour. Installation would be about the same, with the exception of getting that damn steering column onto the steering box. I jacked around on that for 2 hours the last time.

Fortunately, all is well and my steering is very nice now. There is still about 1/2" to 3/4" play in the wheel before it really starts to turn, but there is no wandering and compared to the before it's a major improvement. I did not replace the tie rods, which could explain the remaining play in the steering. Eventually I will replace those and get it aligned.

Congrats on the job. Did mine by loosening the steering box used an impact to get the nut off and used a pitman arm puller with an impact. Not a job for the physically week :) lucky I had a hoist.

Slim shady you ain't lyin' it was a bit challenging holding the box where I needed it ( over my head) cause luckily I have access to a lift also. But it really all went well and I believe that without this forum it would have taken me a bit longer after trial and error but I would have gotten it sooner or later just glad it happened sooner.thanks for all the help of this forum and any future help in advance. ;) I really feel sorry for anyone who has to do this on there back.

Slim shady you ain't lyin' it was a bit challenging holding the box where I needed it ( over my head) cause luckily I have access to a lift also. But it really all went well and I believe that without this forum it would have taken me a bit longer after trial and error but I would have gotten it sooner or later just glad it happened sooner.thanks for all the help of this forum and any future help in advance. ;) I really feel sorry for anyone who has to do this on there back.

This is why I needed a floor jack under the steering box when I was trying to slide the steering column back onto it. Just not enough hands: one to rotate the steering column, one to position the steering box, one to support the steering box > TILT!

BTW the wife drove the Suburban to work today delivering some furniture to her partner. She reported back that the steering is great! She's my lithmus test on this and it passed.

Glad everything went through the rigorous wife test and passed first time my wife drove my truck was the last time she drove it as well she said its too loud and too big she doesn't like it. On the other hand my 4 year old daughter loves everything about it and told me I can never get rid of it so that's good enough for me. (Big red) is part of the family now she also loves the turbo whistle. Back on subject sorry, I've been driving my truck back and fourth from Chicago to Madison wisconson on a daily basis and everything seems to be going great. She tracks strait and steering definitely has a more positive feel now and the wheel is strait. Still a little room for improvement but going to hold off on tie rods and idler till summer.

Though my wife's regular ride is a Mercedes SLK 280, she's an outdoor gal and loves the Burb. When my son was a bit wishy washy on our recent purchase of the '94 Burb, she said buy it and we'll keep it if he doesn't want it.

Back