• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cowl induction hood

I left it off, and haven't had any trouble with paint...
That Blue hood pictured is not a cowl hood, it has heat extractors simulated on it, is all....

by the way, Mine is a reflections Steel ram air style hood, the forward facing scoop is a dummy, but it is a true cowl induction hood

Id say its got to help with heat. The insulation would slow the heat transfer and the heat that gets into the steel would get pulled out by the air passing over.

I think the only time it would matter is towing heavy as BJ is going to be doing. I'd suspect on the long grades his turbo and manifolds will be glowing red. A friend of mine towed a real heavy load with a 1 ton dually (I think it was a 91) with a 454, he blistered the paint on his hood said his manifold were bright cherry red. The floor boards so hot he could't hold his hand on them. He was probably a little heavy to IIRC his trailer was 25k

I think the only time it would matter is towing heavy as BJ is going to be doing. I'd suspect on the long grades his turbo and manifolds will be glowing red. A friend of mine towed a real heavy load with a 1 ton dually (I think it was a 91) with a 454, he blistered the paint on his hood said his manifold were bright cherry red. The floor boards so hot he could't hold his hand on them. He was probably a little heavy to IIRC his trailer was 25k

Thats abuse.. One of my friends was in a burnout contest, and was trying to blow his old tires out. Had his long tubes glowing red! all the way back to the cat. Then sells the engine for 600 bucks...

Some older tractors it isnt uncommon to see the turbo red when plowing a field. You'll see some with the paint burned off the hood over the turbo. Ive seen dozers like this too.

I left it off, and haven't had any trouble with paint...
That Blue hood pictured is not a cowl hood, it has heat extractors simulated on it, is all....

Click on the pic. It will take you to their web page. They claim the hood to be a functional heat extracter.

Back