• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Correct Tire Pressure

If you look on the tire it gives you a psi maximum. The max PSI is the same on the stock tire size as well as the 265's. So use the recommended psi on the driver door sticker.

Well... On my Burb, which is running stock tires, it says 55PSI front, 80PSI rears. I find that when you're not completely loaded up with cargo, that 80 PSI is really extreme! The correct stock tire is E load rated, so they will easily go to 80 PSI. The guys at the tire place always seem shocked when I come in and they are at 80 PSI. I tell them to read the door sticker, and they seem stunned.

Check your load rating.

On my Tahoe, which is running 33x12.5x15, I run maximum cold inflation pressure, which is 35 PSI.

-Rob :)

yeah i got E rated tires so the max psi is 80 but i was always told that is when your hauling a load that you should fill it to the max and i dont tow that much or haul anything really heavy. so i was wondering what you guys fill it up to. its a bigger tire also so i would think it needs more air

When the Burb is filled to 80 PSI in rears, it rides lock a ROCK. Not nice at all. Kidney-shaking vibrations, let me tell you!

-Rob :)

I run 60psi all the way around provides nice ride but my 285/75r16 are only load range d max is 65 but my winter tires are load range e and i still run 60 psi

I have the 265/75-16 E rated and run 60 all around, or sometimes 60 front and 55 rear. If you're towing or heavily loaded you should raise the rears to around 70, if you go up to 80 make sure you check the pressure when cold.

Bigger tires don't always mean higher pressure, it has to do with the load rating and use.

Check load inflation tables

Here's what I use for my Wrangler HT 235/85-16, load range E. You should be able to find a chart for your tires but I bet it isn't much different than this:

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf

I used to run 80 in the back all the time. Looking at the chart I was over inflated even with the horse trailer loaded. My 2500HD rear axle GW is about 4600 IIRC so my max inflation at GW would be 55 psi on the rears. I was amazed at the difference in ride and handling (goes over bumps instead of ricocheting off of them). Felt like a Cadirack by comparison. You can see where I run them when I'm running empty on I-5 between Portland and Seattle. It was almost scary dropping the pressure that low. It rides and handles great though,

Under inflation will certainly cost you in mpg and not handle well (or safely) but having them inflated according to the load charts should make the tire wear even all the way across. I remember a long time ago a cousin racing Winston series would adjust his tire pressure to make the temperature the same all the way across the tread. He had a fancy tape that would change color at different temps. Lay it across the tread and it should be all the same color. Just like your old Mood Ring from the 70s:coolgleamA: (appologies to those too young to know what I'm talking about :wtf:)

Mike

I run 60 psi in the front and 65 psi in the rear. I have experimented with several different pressures, but have found this to be my best alternative. Not much different from the 60 psi all the way around.

I just recently upgraded to 265's, and went with General Grabber HTS. They are a quiet tire that gives a good ride. I think the truck rides better with these 265 tires, but I wish I had stayed with the stock 245 size, as my mileage has gone down about 1-1.5 mpg.

Woody, I'm running Liberator's too - good ole Wally World!

I run 50 in the fronts and 50 in the rear. Door sticker says 50 front 80 rear. I only run 80 if I'm hauling my 7x20 equipment trailer with tractor and implements.

Empty, even 60 psi in the rears will put daylight between the tires and the pavement if I run over a heavy painted stripe on the road :eek:

I forgot to mention that I have the Sulastic Shackles in the rear. That may make a little difference in the way the truck takes bumps.

I use the following formula

axle weight / number of tires on axle X max air pressure / weight rating of tires used = min tire pressure required

ex:5000 lbs axle weight / 2 tires X 80 psi max air / 3042 rating of tire = 65.75 PSI min required.........
ex:10000 lbs axle weight / 4 tires X 80 psi max air / 3085 rating of tire = 64.83 PSI min required.........

Hi all,

I must be a bit older than most of you, as I go back to the days of using chalk.

Load up your vehicle how you plan to travel; air up to the tire specs; run a chalk line across each tire; then drive straight down the block.

Stop, and check for what's left of the chalk line. Air up or down, to get an even "wear off" of the chalk line. Then record those pressures for future reference. By getting the chalk to wear off evenly, you have the tread as flat to the road as possible, and hence the best pressure for for the load.

At least that's the way it has seemed to work for me for the last 50yrs.

Harold

Back