• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant leak?

JustinD

Reaction score
I noticed a small puddle under my truck, it is right under my front driveshaft I looked under the truck and it is dripping from somewhere up top onto the oil filter housing I can't see where it is coming from yet, I check my upper hose and I can squeeze it alot after I let it sit overnight?? Hopefully I don't have a bad headgasket!:noidea:

Most likely its the pipe that runsfrom the back side of the water pump to the oil cooler. There is an o ring that has a tendency to leak. It could also be running along there coming from the water pump itself. Thats the most common leak that I've see on those trucks.

^^^yep. Theres a few things in there that leak.

You could stare by replacing the $40 o ring as its commonly referred to. Its a weird spec and GM is the only one I know who makes it. Its the o ring that goes onto the water pipe then slides into the oil cooler.

And since you have to remove the oil cooler to replace it you could replace the gasket on the water pipe where it bolts to the water pump. also replace the gasket that is between the oil cooler and rear housing adapter these have a tendancy to leak as well, at least mine do. and if you want to go one step further you could replace the rubber seal where the adapter connects to the rear housing.

These are easyish things to replace to hopefully rule out a water pump. Sad thing is that it will probably cost more than a water pump to replace the four gasket, seal and o ring.

I just did the water pump like 4 months ago. Oh well, I guess I gotta start hunting for it, thanks for the input guys.

Back