• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold start vid....

I would plug it in at that temp.

Maybe one of your glow plugs is bad, our the controller.

I think I would do the glowplug override mod. I can start mine down to about 0 without too much problem without the override mod. I noticed it started instantly just smoked alot. Check the plug ins on the plugs themselves might need to sqeeze them to get a tighter connection. If that doesn't do it try starting it with about 3/4 throttle and bee prepared to let off quickly so you don't rev it while it's still cold. If that helps then youradvance in your ip may be sticky. Basically what mine is doing,was really bad and I started using nd 30wt and it eventually got alot better.

also my gl4 give me more time on plugs than stock. When my truck was newer I actually started it at -15 without any assistance ie block heaters etc. Temps were on the way down though if it has been -20 it takes about 8 hrs of +20 to get it to start unassisted. Cast iron takes awhile to cool off and warm up

I do plan on getting the gl4, so i didnt want to do the glow plug mod. I just cant afford the gl4 for another few months... All the plugs are new, the controller works fine. I believe the bosh plugs just need more time to heat up than others..

The engine i just put in my 1995 has 8 good glow plugs dual block heaters, dual battery heaters, oil pan heater and the glow plug mod. Bring on the cold weather old man winter!!!! :)

All I know is at +19 it shouldn't be that bad. I've been thinking of doing the glow plug mod myself even with the gl4. Only reason I haven't already done it was I was under the impression that when you did it you gave up the automatic glow feature.

All I know is at +19 it shouldn't be that bad. I've been thinking of doing the glow plug mod myself even with the gl4. Only reason I haven't already done it was I was under the impression that when you did it you gave up the automatic glow feature.

I like automatic.... lol

I know with the GL4 and the bosch plugs i have the truck fires up with almost no smoke save for a puff on startup. It started fine and with just a puff of smoke with the HP4 as well.

Maybe try cycling the glow plugs a second time before starting the truck? IT shoudln't smoke that much, but it did fire up fine. The GL4 should help if the bosch GPs aren't getting to full temperature.

my truck in -20c last winter, after being left for almost a week , not plugged in. orginal glows at 160,000KM. getting new ones in a couple weeks.Dont want this to happen again !

is this after your rebuild slug?

Attachments

• runnin rich.jpg
    runnin rich.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
Yes this is after my rebuild, i got to check to make sure one of the plug wires didnt come unconnected or something, i put a anti corrosive on the terminals...

I have the glow plug over ride and the automatic glow feature still works. The over ride just bypasses the ecm when used. It doesn't eliminate it

Leo

When I'm up at our place in the San Bernadino Mountains at the same temps, my truck starts the same. The glow plug light even cycles back on while the engine is running. Goes away fairly quickly, but leaves a nice cloud of smoke just like yours. I love the smell of diesel in the morning. Smells like fishing!:D

wow I thought my truck smoked bad at start up. Temps don't seem to matter so long as the truck is cold it smokes bad but about 1/2 as much as that. I love the smell too. I try and time the start just about the time the wife comes out the door. This way she gets a face full of the smoke as she is getting in the truck. Makes her want to drive her car rather then a drive from me :)

I'm definatly going to go with one or two glow plugs aren't lighting. The engine started way to easily and after a a few seconds the smoke went away and idle seemed to be normal. Definatly check everything glow plug wise, I've accidentally put on my plug wires incorrectly after doing maniteneance to the truck and it does something similar to that. Then I know I missed something.

Don't give up hope Diesel Slug, remember, when it rains it pours. Things will get better soon enough(i hope).

with my ip problem it would fire right off and then, I don't know the best way to describe it, it would stumble, idle slow, and smoke up a storm. Just for grins try unplugging your ect in the crossover and see if it makes a diff.

Yeah i will checkout the plugs tomorrrow. Today i have to go work in the am and go to a meeting this after noon. Thanks for the tips.

Back