• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coincidence?

CUCV

Reaction score
Ok, so the Burb decided to get stupid after a long time of trouble-free operation.

This past weekend while towing a pop-up, she started spewing black smoke under load- eventually throwing code. I assumed wastegate issue and drove on.

Check engine light cleared overnight. Next morning I go to start, turns for 1/2 second than stops. Voltage gauge dead, but lights don't dim on start position. ECM Maxi fuse blown. Replace fuse. All is well.

Return from trip and tighten vacuum lines and clean, lube wastegate solenoid.

Put on scanner, cleared p0236 code and took on a drive for about 45 minutes.

All was well then it stopped while driving. Fortunately I was right by my house.

It was midnight, so I didn't go through the troubleshooting from start to finish. That will be after work tonight starting with PMD, grounds, lift pump, etc. I had a die while driving twice before that was cured with new PMD's.

My question is- does the wastegate issue, ECM fuse issue and dead from driving have any relation or is it just coincidence?
I usually don't believe in coincidences, but with my fleet of crappy cars over the last 20 years, I have seen enough of them to know they exist.

Just throwing it out there to see if someone else experienced the same set of issues and related it to something. I couldn't come up with a logical reason they would be related.

Thanks.

Possible fuel problem. Plugged filter, air leak, running out of fuel, etc.

*UPDATE*
It's amazing what daylight and sleep do to improve your diagnostic abilities.
Another blown PCM fuse. This time it was the 20A little fuse, not the 40A Maxi Fuse.

So I'm thinking the wastegate was a vacuum leak I fixed and was a coincidence.

However, the PCM fuses clearly are related to one another. Have to do some digging to see what's shorting them out randomly.

In the four years I owned the truck, I never blew a fuse before this week.

Check wires. Check ECM for any codes and suspect items that coded may be shorted/shorting including wires to them. ECM's also short out, but, generally stay dead if they do.

Gonna go through all the grounds tomorrow. Then move on to connectors, then the harness. I'll do another scan too, see if anything got sent to memory, but not showing SES light.

I washed the truck last week. First time in a year- probably should have kept all the crud on her........

Back