• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing rear end gears

I am not sure of the weight of the dog trailer, it is an 8 hole. It is not quite as a horse trailer, but heavier than a comparable size cargo trailer. I am sure based on the factory code that it is 4:10 gears. A 1 mph increase isn't a lot, but then I put at least 20K a year going to dog events, and as high as 5oK some years, so even a 1 mph increase would probably save me money. Guess I will have to do an ROI on doing it, and see if it is cost effective.

I have no experience tuning anything, but would blackbear performance be able to burn a custom ECM that works with the taller gears?

I am all for gearing up, I have been looking for a complete 3.42 axle so I can roll it under one of mine and try it out towing. I want to try towing in direct (4th on NV4500, 3rd on 4L80E) and running empty at lower RPMs in OD.

I saw a western Star for sale with 2.61 gears. granted the newer engines have alot more low end torque, but I still think anything in the 3.xx's would be acceptable.

I know I have seen 3.21s advertised, I think it was from West Coast gear? Randy's ring and pinion would probably have it too.

Ferm and others, when did the 3rd pinion support come out on the 14 bolt?

I have no experience tuning anything, but would blackbear performance be able to burn a custom ECM that works with the taller gears?

I am all for gearing up, I have been looking for a complete 3.42 axle so I can roll it under one of mine and try it out towing. I want to try towing in direct (4th on NV4500, 3rd on 4L80E) and running empty at lower RPMs in OD.

I saw a western Star for sale with 2.61 gears. granted the newer engines have alot more low end torque, but I still think anything in the 3.xx's would be acceptable.

I know I have seen 3.21s advertised, I think it was from West Coast gear? Randy's ring and pinion would probably have it too.

Ferm and others, when did the 3rd pinion support come out on the 14 bolt?

ALL GM 14 bolt 10.5" full floaters have the removable pinion support like a 9" FORD. The version they make for DODGE doesn't have one, and is why those parts don't interchange with the GM ones.

For a 96-00 OBD2 454 or 350 Blackbear can do the tuning and I would definitely get tuning done. Maybe even swap in a 411 PCM (better range of tuning)

TBI chips burns chips for the 94. For MPG try larger exhaust from the manifold to a Y Pipe from Ebay 2.5" at the smallest and either dual 2.5" cats or a single 3" from magnaflow, 3" exhaust out the back.

I towed my Dad's 1993 S-10 Tahoe pickup on an ex-U-Haul tow dolly behind my 3.42 geared Suburban from NC to TN in 4th gear without issue.

Didn't log the fuel mileage, but it was taching 1900 rpms at 70 mph and the fuel mileage was pretty good considering...

Not bad but that's what the truck is built for, light towing. GM Guy seems to think grossing 25K would be easier in 1:1 ratio at high RPM using 3.42's instead of going to 4.56's and having torque at the top and bottom while towing in OD. Cant say I agree, I think getting full loads rolling will be a biotch. I'd rather get 4.56's and get the load moving to begin with.

I know I like my 3.42 gears in mine, but I've got a good bit more torque than most do. I've towed at least 10K before without issue in OD running 70.

Yeah but your cheating Ferm! Imo using OD while loaded shouldn't be an issue.

My problem is taking off grossing 36k, that take some clutch slipping and serious throttle feathering to get moving. W/ 3.42s I don't think the 6.5l has the off idle torque to lug that and if it does that sounds hard on the bottom end.
Source Unknown

I know I like my 3.42 gears in mine, but I've got a good bit more torque than most do. I've towed at least 10K before without issue in OD running 70.

Good to hear that THEFERMANATOR as this was my first tow with my "new" to me Suburban plus my oil pressure and water temp was normal the whole way home...

I don't consider having a DURAMAX cheating, just using some good power is all. And the ALLISON backed up with a precision triple disc converter just makes it happy doing it's job.

My question about this is changing the front end gears. I'm guessing if you do the back without doing the front, you can't use your 4WD. I've read that the back is pretty easy to do while the front requires taking the whole front end apart. Any thoughts on that?

If you change the front gears, then yes you must change the rears to match. Doing the front gears isn't the easiest as yes you have to completely remove the font axle and split it on the bench to change them.

Back