• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can a stock GM 6.5 lift pump be used for gas?

dka99burb

Reaction score
I have a spare GM lift pump left over from my burb. I'm wondering if I can use it as a transfer pump for gas. Does it cross to any gas applications? If so, can someone provide evidence of such so I know it's safe?:skep:

The aftermarket pump can. The stock pump hates alcohol type additives/leftovers found in Biodiesel and gasoline. So it can affect flapper valve life.

http://www.walbro.com/frb5-series-fuel-pump.aspx

Safe? It wasn't sold for or intended for gasoline. Even if it does cross over, I doubt it does. This is strike one against safe and an out for insurance companies if you burn stuff to the ground. Even if the pump has nothing to do with a fire/explosion...

You have to be careful with gasoline fumes. Spark proof switches, no gas hot water heater around, well ventilated... Even a car gas tank sitting in a closed shop by a heater while you are cutting the exhaust out can have a lot off soot raining out of the air while you stand there with your torch out after the "bang" noise.

So it may work just fine, but, as outlined above I wouldn't call it "safe".

While I agree it's probably not the best for gasoline, your 99 pump is also listed for the inter-tank transfer pump on 5.7 and 7.4 trucks with dual fuel tanks.

While I agree it's probably not the best for gasoline, your 99 pump is also listed for the inter-tank transfer pump on 5.7 and 7.4 trucks with dual fuel tanks.

There you go. Meth in biodiesel is their only issue then.

I figure if it's compatible then it's free. Since I have a new one sitting on the shelf. Unless someone would like to buy it (I doubt it) and I will get something different.
I also have to look into an anti-siphon valve. Does anyone have experience with one of these? I don't want it to siphon thru the pump. Since it is a 'flow on failure' style pump.

Transferflow has a plunger pump that doesn't flow on 'fail' or 'off'. Not sure if it has a on/off valve or what in it.

What is the project you are building? Tank in the bed?

Yes. But to do so safely you must pump from the top of the tank with the pickup tube, use an anti-siphon valve so that it doesn't overflow the main tank due to gravity, and tie your truck evap. system to the vent tube of the aux tank.

Back