• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camping season is upon us. A lesson in Tire Safety

Trailer tires are restricted to lower speeds and their durability SUCKS.

I would prefer LT rated tires if at all possible, preferably D or E rated. I have been told by several tire experts that LT tires are fine for trailers, so that's what I look for if I have a choice and can find the correct size.

The truck D-rated tires are only rated for about 1800 lbs/tire. The P225/75/15D trailer tires are rated for 2540 lbs/tire.

Obviously, tire size makes a difference too.

From the GoodYear Tire Chart

. . . . . . . .. . . . . 65 psi . . . . . . 80 psi
LT215/75R-15 -- 2,095 lbs (D)

LT235/75R-15 -- 2,335 lbs (D) -- 2,755 lbs (E)

And if you have the ability to go to a 16 inch tire and wheel and have room inside the fenderwell, you might even be able to run the same tires you run on the truck, which is a very attractive option.

I don't know why it is so hard to find a good trailer tire. I searched and searched on message boards for trailer tires. I ended up going with the goodyear tires. It seemed like they had the most positive feedback of all the tires.

I got about 6 years out of my Carlisle Radial tires. From what I have been reading, trailer tires really do not wear out from the tread wear. You replace them by time (as in years). For example replace the tires every 5 years, even if the tread looks good. The rubber separates from the canvas due to sitting in one spot, and from the sun beating on them. So, for my getting 6 years out of the original set, I will probably just replace them every 5 years by the calendar.

I did hear good things about the Goodyear Marathon tires.

I did alot of searching on the tire issues and most liked and had the least amount of problems with the Good Year tires. The Marathon tires is what I ended up going with. It would ruin a good trip or make it bad if I had blown out a tire. Especially a new tire. Not saying that a blown out tirecouldn't happen no matter what tire you purchase but I wanted to reasearch to try to find the best possible reliable tire out there. I don't remember what the other tire brand I was looking at but it might have been the Carlisle tire. It was between two tire companys and the other could have been Carlisle or mabey Titan if they make one.

I don't really like good year tires for my truck though. They seem to wear out fast. For me anyway.

Tire Blow Out

Ironically enough, I just came back from a week in New Hampshire, and at the MA, NH border I got a good blow out. It was the last of my Carlisle tires. I replaced all 4 with the Goodyear Marathons. We'll see how they last.

Attachments

• Campertire blowout.jpg
    Campertire blowout.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
Back