• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Camping season is upon us. A lesson in Tire Safety

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Pulled the Camper out to start cleaning it up and at first glance the tires looked fine but closer inspection revealed cracking and dry rot. These could very well be original 10 yr old tires and they were Load Range B to begin with. The new ones I got are Load Range D but my dilema is the Rims are stamped 50psi max and the Range D tires run 65psi at max weight. I am wondering should I run them at 50 psi or 65 psi. Gonna call tire supplier tommorow and see what they say. Just remember that a blow out on these campers can do serious damage to the camper aside from causing an accident.

Attachments

• DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4
Always run about 50 PSI in the tires on our little hunting camper. The tires were rated to 65 PSI, but no more weight than it has I figured 60 or 65 PSI would make it ride rough.

Less tire pressure means more heat. I run 65 PSI in mine. Ride is fine. Less pressure also sways more side-to-side.

spoke witht he tire place today. They said DO NOT exceed the recommended pressure of the rim and that 50 psi will be fine in those tires.

I would guess that the rims were sized to the trailer and so were the light duty tires (if they were original) so 50 psi is probably the correct amount regardless of the tire's max rating. You're just running better than required tires. Always a good thing.

thats why I've got a pair of those little tire cover skirts to protect them from the sun. Only need one pair, on the sunny side. I've seen UV ruin more trailer tires with perfect tread, just from sitting.

So I went camping last weekend. $ brand new Load range D tires. Should be good to go in the heat right ??
WRONG:mad:
This is why I stand by my guns that everything made in China is crap period. These friggin tires don't have 50 miles. I am ready to kill someone. I am taking them all off and getting ONLY American made tires . I was sooo Lucky my buddy in PA had a spare for his enclosed trailer that was same size so I had to borrow it. I had a spare which I put on but seeing how that one new tire came apart I was nervous about coming home without one and of course Monday everything was closed except Sears. They had that size but not a trailer tire and the guy advised against it but if I hadn't got one from my freind I would have bought it . The wrong tread pattern is better than NO tire in the midddle of the Poconos at night. I did 55mph the whole way home and waited till night when it was cooler. BTW It was not searing hot on Sat when we made the trip there and I don't run over 60mph towing. There is no way a Laod range D should have blown other than typical chinese crap. About the only thing those MF's can make is food. I never even heard it go. I pulled into the campground and someone said "you have no tire" Miracoulously the camper was not damaged and the rim was fine.. I dismounted it at the campground with hand irons.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
So far only goodyear and Titan are usa tire makers that have them . Both have excellent ratings. I will never put a chinese made tire on anything I own ever again.

I believe Cooper's are made here in Ohio. Not sure if they have the tire you're looking for though. I guess you have to find the silver lining that your family or someone else's family wasn't hurt and your camper wasn't beat up. Sorry to hear about the trouble though. Puts a damper on things for sure.

I saw a guy come rolling into the campground when we were in W. Yellowstone with a wheel that looked just like the pic, I dont think he had any idea it was gone.
I lost pressure in one a few years back in FL and saw it losing rubber, got off the road before it really came apart but it was eating itself pretty fast. I always thought I would be able to feel it if I had one go down but I had no idea it was flat until I saw the pieces coming off it in the mirror.

don't need "st" trailer tires, I've always used truck tires, they are as good or better. Load range D is plenty for that weight. Want to watch for the wheel bearings, I stop and check mine for heat every so often. A dried out bearing will make heat, expand the tire pressure and pop the tire, and you might blame the tire. But a bad bearing will get worse quickly then fail, so this instance probably was a defective tire.
Even with no miles on them, wheel bearings can go because the grease can dessicate and dry up.

btw, that truck looks beautiful in the pics. Makes me want to get a nice black fiberglass snugtop cap for mine. A cap is about the only accessory I haven't added so far. Of course, I'd have to get rid of my back rack and lightbar, and couldn't use it in the winter because I haul wood pellets and sand back there. And don't need it in the summer either. I just kind of want one because I don't have one...

The idea of the cap was to take the dog but it's too hot back there for her. I was toying with using suburban a/c lines and droppiing a Red dot in the back for heating and cooling for the dog.

Akret is a decent China tire brand - managed to wear them out. Had no choice at the time and did not want a china tire as the cr@p Hi-Run China OEM Haulmark tires didn't make it 2 weeks, 3000 miles. Haulmark paid for the new tires after 6 months.

Trailer tires are not made to wear out. They also have a speed rating of 65 MPH !!!

Look at your Goodyears as they fail as well. But I would trust them more. Made in Mexico is still America and NOT China.

You just can't tell the cr@p Chinese stuff from the better stuff. You are better off avoiding China because you have better recourse with other countries.

well, I bought 4 Hercules tires. My dealer in town swears buy them and said no issue with warranty if they separate. He said the Goodyears are crap. we'll see. I'm out 400$ for these as well as 200$ for the Triangles.:mad2:

Back