• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

California and the 6.5

TurboTahoe

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A friend of mine with a 6.5 is thinking of moving to S. Cal. He has a 6.5 and wants to take it with him. I told him I think that the emissions regulations might make that impossible, but I don't know the scoop. Can you guys chime in?

I know that he gutted his cat, so that might be a problem. It's a F code vehicle.

Input?

-Rob :)

What is the Opacity standard ? Average 6.5TD around here seems tio be blowin a .02. Have him find out what thier standards are then have his truck tested locally.

As of january this year, only 1998 and newer diesels have to do the smog test in kalifornia.

I wouldn't worry, it'll pass. If not go back with B20 and up. But I'd bet it passes. They just don't want constant chokers. You know the ones :) Puking black smoke out just to move, as if the IP was just dumping fuel in, or lack of compression to combust it. Something running on 7 cyls, belching white smoke... If it runs good and smells normal it'll be fine I bet. In fact, 6.5 diesel exhaust smells really clean compared to most diesel engines.

I just smogged mine. There is no opacity test. All they do is look for what it is supposed to have, cat, egr, whatever, and look for smoke. No big deal at all. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

I just smogged mine. There is no opacity test. All they do is look for what it is supposed to have, cat, egr, whatever, and look for smoke. No big deal at all. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

That's Awesome. He has a '98 Sub I believe.

Thanks for responding.

-Rob :)

Diesel testing is brand new to CA, trying to get more revenue. You cannot purchase new passenger diesel vehicles in CA, so you have to bring them in. Im still registered in IL, so never had to test anything, but with the 94 would be exempt anyway.

Good for you guys. Mass they WOT at idle 3 times, call it a SNAP test, measure opacity...

Guess what, the next day my flexplate shit the bed..... Coincedence???????? WTF.

Good for you guys. Mass they WOT at idle 3 times, call it a SNAP test, measure opacity...

Guess what, the next day my flexplate shit the bed..... Coincedence???????? WTF.

Well you know where to send the bill:rolleyes5:

Not going to have a problem. My '99 passed in January with the ATT, Heath GL 4, no compressor, punched out soot trap. They just look for continuous smoke on acceleration.

Back