• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brake drag/lock up

duallypilot

Reaction score
Went to take off this morning for our weekend and the left front brake was locked up tight. I got a jack under it and the wheel off and nothing looked out of place. I checked the fuse for the ABS and it was fine, looked everything over and could not find the reason. I ended up cracking the bleeder valve loose and pushing the piston back some with a c-clamp and removing the fuse to the ABS to disable it (in case it was the culprit). I did some research online and it seems this was a common problem that GM had several service bulletins on it, with no cure. Later today, I got it out on the road and the same brake started to drag bad enough that you could smell it through the vents.
Has anyone had a similar experience and or a solution to this problem?
Thanks

I'm guessing this is the 97 in your sig? If so I would suspect a bad caliper before I would the ABS.

Thefermanator, Yes this was the '97.
AK - That is a good idea since I tried to collapse the caliper piston without cracking the bleeder and it would not move....

x2 on the hose.

Tho' I wouldn't rule out an ABS qwerk either. Sometimes a failing sensor in the hub will do strange things to the ABS.

I replaced the front brake hoses today and installed new bleeder valves (Russell speed valves ROCK!!), got everything bled and the truck seems fine. We'll have to see if this was the culprit!

I had the same thing on my '94.
It was muck in the piston bore with worn out seals not letting the piston back off slightly after braking.
I rebuilt both calipers with all seals, bushings, and sliders.
Works fine now.

Regular brake fluid attracts water and thereby promotes corrosion.
The system should be flushed yearly IMO, but the bleeder designs leave the muck at the bottom of the bore, so flushing is not a complete preventative.

Synthetic fluid or silicone fluid should prevent this from happening again, for the same reasons.

Back