• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

bought new truck, Help!!!

Jdbdiesel

Reaction score
i traded my tahoe 350 v8 for a 95 1500 4x4 6.5 diesel, Body is spotless, I couldnt pass up the trade

It was towed back to my house thanks to uhaul and my buddy mike,

When we were there the truck started and ran for about 10 min

then it started misfiring and stalling, It always restarted, the guy said he was told it was the ip, Im working if its just the lp or pmd,

I couldnt read codes and i dont believe the light was on anyhow,

I just wanna know where to start here, and if its the ip, could anyone make a service call to new castle pa? Beer included lol

any help would be awesome so i know where to start before i start dumping money into this thing,

Change the PMD with a relocation kit. maynot fix the problem but you're gonna hafta do it anyway. on my 95 all the fuel lines were dry rotted so change them. you may have a clogged sock in the fuel tank, someone may have ran a tank or two of BioD and cleaned the gunk out of your fuel tank clogging the sock. Check the fuel filter, may have gelled, it's been Arctic recently. I'm not a mechanic, I've only been fooling around with my two trucks for a couple of years and experienced every one of the above.

I drink Yuengling

You should be able to read the codes with a paper clip. Maybe replace your OPS too. I drink pretty much anytrhing.

Forgot about the Oil pressure switch, had to replace that as well. but they either work or don't, don't they?

Forgot about the Oil pressure switch, had to replace that as well. but they either work or don't, don't they?

I've heard of them working intermittently, I'd start with a fuel pressure guage to see whats going on before throwing parts at it.

As long as its cold I will drink anything as well:)

I would take a look at the lift pump after you do the ops, the pmd relocate, check the fuel lins and sock. They get weak and sometimes even if you can hear them they are not doing much. Might be a good idea to throw I new on while you are at it.

ill pull the codes as soon as i get a day off, So you guys dont think its the IP? I dont have aton of extra cash to get this thing running lol, So im trying to find the problem cheapierish. lol

there's no solid way to confirm the IP. That's why you should start with the easy/cheap stuff first. Even with the cheaper parts it will ad up if you don't diagnosis it right. process of elimination

I would not just throw a lift pump at it, like mentioned above, little parts add up- maybe it's good. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, some parts stores will loan the tools by selling the tool, then you can return it for the money back. If you can buy one, they are only $30 range, and that tool will be used again.

Did you try cracking the drain while running? try it when it first starts running good. Try again as it is dying.

Check the grounds!! There is a good right up and pics in the stickies..

Heath told me one way to check the IP...Once its running and warm,,,,,,,,,slowy push throttle up to 2000 and hold it there for 30 sec. Then slowly bring it back down to idle. If it wont hold stead at 2,000 it is shot.

gonna try lift pump and pmd and sock first i think, Should be more then 250 or so

Might as well get a LP that will make the truck run like it should ( Walbro FRC10 on my site).
If your going to pull the sock make sure its not the white plastic type, thats a gasser sock and plugs very easy. An option is to remove it all together and install an external spin on filter (also on my site).

You can rig a gauge on the FFM drain hose. Or, get my Fuel Pressure Tap and put a gauge in the cab. Monitoring Fuel is the most important thing you can do on our trucks. I have a short vid on my site.

999.jpgfuel pressure tap 004.jpgfuel pressure tap 005.jpg

IMO I would get a known working PMD and try it out. I am noticing an annoying trend of people relocating their used and half cooked PMDs. the PO could have done just this. IMO taking a burn pie out of the oven and putting it on the window sill doesnt un-burn the pie. you have to start with new when you relocate to the bumper.

Back