• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Beat a 5.3

I drive a 5.3 for work......EC/SB Z71 4x4. Not sure what the rear axle is (2000 rpm is over 70 mph) so it is pry the tall one. The truck is a dog. 15 mpg though with a good bit of towing, hills and town.

Most annoying thing is that there is some sort of trans protection software for reverse. There is a 2 second delay between when you give it gas and when it actually moves backwards. Really annoying.

interesting. my 03 5.3 was fast. 4.10 gearing and I modded it of course but it was still faster than any other gas pickup I drove stock to stock. as far as a 19 sec quarter mile thats rediculous. my 86 s10 with a 2.8 runs a 19........

Okay so you make 260 horse power at the fly wheel. And a 5.3 at the least makes 285 flywheel horse power. I am sure you have him beat in the torque department, you prolly make what close to 450-500 foot pounds at the flywheel. Your truck is the older C/K body still has alot of steel panls on it not much plastic, so it is prolly heavier than the 5.3 trucks 19 seconds is way to slow for a stock 5.3 let alone a modded one. According to Motor trend the 5.3 ext cab shortbed 5.3 ran the 1/4 mile in 16.8 seconds.

Sigh....

Again....next time I will take pics, videos, and maybe a driver interview so you guys will believe me....

19 seconds is way to slow for a stock 5.3 let alone a modded one..

Who said it was modded?

You need to slow down and read what was written.

I have beat 2 5.3s thus far in my street legal racing experience. This is actual racing at an actual strip with real timeslips (I am not just reading Motor Trend - LOL).

The last 5.3 that was at the track ran consistent 19 second times. I didn't get a chance to line up with him, but I did get a chance to watch a few of his SLOW runs.

I did not say the truck was modded in the least - you implied that it was.

Moral of the story - slow down and read - you will see that I do NOT make bogus claims (and never have).....I have actually taken my truck to a real track....on numerous occasions....

:rant:

I am not just reading motor trend either, I just did a quick google and found the first numbers that came up. I wish I still had my 99 5.3 it was a fats little bastard.

I am not just reading motor trend either, I just did a quick google and found the first numbers that came up. I wish I still had my 99 5.3 it was a fats little bastard.

My point exactly!

Get off your ass and get to a track....anyone can write anything on the 'net....gotta see things in person to get a sense of reality....

Either way - the 19 second runs that I have seen live in person, or the 16.8 second run that a professional driver from Motor Trend claims - I win....:hurray:

Well chrisk1500, I will be sure to get off my ass and fly 10,000 miles back to the states and go to the track. Kinda hard to race in Iraq bud.

Well chrisk1500, I will be sure to get off my ass and fly 10,000 miles back to the states and go to the track. Kinda hard to race in Iraq bud.

Your choice to be there....not mine...

Just don't come on here telling me I'm wrong when I know damn well that I saw what I saw and ran what I ran...

LOL!

A threat over the internet.....oh no!

I don't think I said anything I can't cash.....you chose your career path and I chose mine...

Don't tell me what Car and Driver or Google says because my eyes have seen different on a real track....

I beleive I will step away from this conversation before you cash a check your ass can't cash, watch your mouth.

Wow, man, get a hold of yourself.

Hey Chris, I believe you, even if 19 sounds really slow for a 5.3. Must be a combination of 3:42 gears and sloppy driving. I have an 04 Avalanche 5.3 which is probably a little heavier than an ex-cab pickup, but it must have 4:10s because it seems pretty ballsy to me. It will pull away from my 6.5, that's for sure. Never ran either of them, it's a waste of time going to the track nowadays, 400+ ricers show up for street nights ever since the Fast and The Furious movie came out. Without actually racing it, I would have estimated my Avalanche to be a mid to high 16 second truck.
I used to have a supercharged 98 Grand Prix GTP that ran 14.9s, but it felt like a really fast car on the street. Magazines listed a 13 sec 1/4 mile time for it. Bear in mind those mags are all on the west coast where they time it differently.

Thanks Dan!

I didn't think I said anything out of line....some guys just don't get it...

Time, Gentlemen...

2 guys arguing over things they are never gonna prove. Chris, you got your side of it, that works for me.

BigBlock, maybe YOUR 5.3 was faster than the one Chris saw.. that works for me, too.

There is no way in the world that either of you can predict how fast a truck will go when you haven't seen it; there are a lot of factors involved, even in identical trucks, and both of you know that.

You each have your own ground to stand on... I believe you both.

Neither of you have the ability nor the cause to call the other a liar, nor should you want to. Let it go.

Thanks, guys.

Now... who's clobbered a Honda lately?):h

Attachments

• Honda.jpg
    Honda.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 158
Back