• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery - Largest Cranking Amps

When it was time to get batteries for the 6.5, I first checked the latest Consumer Reports auto battery test results. Over the past 5 years, I've noted the top rated batteries of the same type (lead acid/AGM/AGM Spiral, etc.) seem to change most every year. While most of us have a favorite brand, I haven't tested any of them beyond normal use. Point being, I'm skeptical of buying a battery simply on name brand.

The Optima's have been rated higher than the more common lead/acid construction since they came out; & they're priced higher. They have a good reputation, although I've heard about more failures in the past few years. Don't know if it's related, but I've been told they moved their mfg to Mexico. Also was told their warranty on the redtops got scaled back somewhat this past February - I didn't confirm this, but it's easily checked if you're considering buying one.

For the past 3 years, the Diehard Platinum P4 (AGM, but not spiral) has topped the 34/78 size ratings, with the Optima being the only other AGM tested. As the DH Platinum P4's & Optimas are similarly priced, I went with the Diehards.

As Missy said, the AGM batteries don't show corrosion around them like lead/acid, which is a nice bonus.

The Diehard Platinum P4's are made in the same (Enersys - Warrensburg, MO) plant as the Odyssey PC1500DT & the casing/terminals & specs are identical.

As was also discussed before, the weak point on this battery is the side terminal isn't fixed in the case. It's a strap extending (external to the case) from the top terminals. So if using the side terminals, it's a good idea to take reasonable care when tightening the side terminals - not overly difficult, but I can see how some folks have had trouble if they weren't consciously aware the side terminals aren't embedded in the case.

Was incorrect earlier saying there were only 2 AGM type batteries in the last Consumer Reports test results. The DEKA Intimidator 9A78DT from DEKA/East Penn was also rated (similarly overall with the Optima redtop SC34U).

So if you want to buy a DEKA/East Penn made battery, and also want the AGM style battery benefits, the 9A78DT is an option.

I just got two 800CCA O'Reilly super start extreme's (34/78EXT)
as my old 5+ yr old Interstates got tired. $90 each, 3yr full replacement warranty/84 month limited.

as long as they work... it's all good

Last edited by a moderator:
... I have decided to just use the WM MAXX and plan on replacing them every 3 years.
it's free, and they are decent batteries.

I had 2 of the 1000 CCA WalMart Everstart Maxx N1's that I bought on 3/25/05 for $64 each. The main reason I bought them was WalMart is where she died and I was recovering from a divorce (read: ramen poor).

Yesterday, they died. Called WalMart to ask them to test them, which they did. 1 lasted 12 seconds on their analyzer, the other lasted 3 minutes before they poo-pooed em. The guy said "Man, if you had your reciept, I could help you out." I got in the glove box and got the man the reciepts, which impressed the hell out of him and I left with 2 brand new everstart maxx batteries for $45.

I'm sold.

One reason I went with the AutoZones is that invariably I need batts when I'm away from my reciept stash, and AZs puter remembers when last set of batts were bought by me, 1 less thing to keep track of

I use the Wally World Maxx batteries. Pay close attention though, because there are Northern Climate versions and Southern Climate versions of their batteries. This has to do with the molar strength of the acid (cheapening up the batteries for Southern Climate). The last set of batteries (BCI group 78) that I bought their were made by Johnson Controls.

But as said before... keep that receipt in the glove box or do what I did and put it in a plastic baggy and tape it to the outside of the battery!!!

Oh and I have tested automotive batteries in the course of my professional life. There is more to a good battery than the CCA rating! Volume of acid and the battery's ability to "stir" also counts (especially with glow plugs or grid heaters in the picture)...

Regards,

also, the 79 series are a tad larger than the 78's and fit fine in the tray.

I looked at a 79 series battery at Autozone, no way that will fit in my tray, its got to be 3" longer than the 78's.

Thanks Goldsburg, I noticed that too. I got Northern Group 34s top connections. The N1's had both so I had an easy way to hook up the #2 wire that feeds the ham radio station :smile5:

Goldsburg is right about different versions of batteries...

And I was totally wrong about the O'reilly super start extremes being Deka's, at least not
over here in California (so my earlier post is wrong and could be removed, mods!, so that
this great site does not get tarnished with my misinformation)

They are actually Johnson Controls, same as Interstate megatrons and some Walmart everstarts...
which is fine except that I paid way too much for them!!:mad2:
should be $35 a pop, huh

When old batteries tested bad, I checked what was available in the local Kragen
(only place open at the time, now owned by O'Reilly), and using the BatteryFAQ posted earlier
ended up with the idea that they are Deka/EastPenn. They could have been earlier, or maybe
still are in the east

But Then I found this:
"Johnson Controls will also supply O'Reilly's full line of automotive Super Start
batteries beginning in February 2009" at several news sites

Only after that I found the "Made in Mexico" sticker, hidden underneath the
warning labels :icon_bs:

I admit it, I got it all wrong and will shut up now

Goldsburg is right about different versions of batteries...

And I was totally wrong about the O'reilly super start extremes being Deka's, at least not
over here in California (so my earlier post is wrong and could be removed, mods!, so that
this great site does not get tarnished with my misinformation)

They are actually Johnson Controls, same as Interstate megatrons and some Walmart everstarts...
which is fine except that I paid way too much for them!!:mad2:
should be $35 a pop, huh

When old batteries tested bad, I checked what was available in the local Kragen
(only place open at the time, now owned by O'Reilly), and using the BatteryFAQ posted earlier
ended up with the idea that they are Deka/EastPenn. They could have been earlier, or maybe
still are in the east

But Then I found this:
"Johnson Controls will also supply O'Reilly's full line of automotive Super Start
batteries beginning in February 2009" at several news sites

Only after that I found the "Made in Mexico" sticker, hidden underneath the
warning labels :icon_bs:

I admit it, I got it all wrong and will shut up now

Got one of those stickers on my alternator!

BTW Missy, you're wrong again, The "Made in Mexico" -------------- IS --------------- The warning sticker! LOL

I went with the Duralast Gold 800 cca, put them in today. Major difference in cranking speed, even in the 40 degree weather lately I'd noticed the slowdown in cranking speed with the old batteries. Part of the problem may have been that one of the battery mod bolts had punched through and acid was leaking out. I thought I was careful screwing them in by hand but it probably turned a bit more when I tightened the nut. Not sure if it would affect power but it had corroded that positve terminal.

So I've got 1-0 cables, battery terminal bolts, new batteries, and new block heater. This thing better start EVERY time this winter!

I went with the Duralast Gold 800 cca, put them in today. Major difference in cranking speed, even in the 40 degree weather lately I'd noticed the slowdown in cranking speed with the old batteries. Part of the problem may have been that one of the battery mod bolts had punched through and acid was leaking out. I thought I was careful screwing them in by hand but it probably turned a bit more when I tightened the nut. Not sure if it would affect power but it had corroded that positve terminal.

So I've got 1-0 cables, battery terminal bolts, new batteries, and new block heater. This thing better start EVERY time this winter!

Yep, defanately need to hold the bolt with one wrench when you crank the nut with the other wrench... I'm sure you know this now :)

Glad to hear good fast starts.

FWIW Synthetic oil makes it even faster if your not using it.

Back