• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

battery chargers

just a number

Reaction score
My battery charger is on it's last leg. any suggestions on what to look for in a replacement. or should I say what to avoid. It's only going to be used for car/ truck batteries so the 6v setting isn't needed? I need one big enough to have a decent charge time but not take up alot of space. I was thinking something around a 40/15/2/ charge rate.

I got a small one from Sears (Die Hard)

It has Battery Type Selector:
Conventional Low Maintenance
Maintenance Free Deep Cycle

Charge Rate Selector:
2A
10A
50A Engine Start

Here a couple of pics next to a 8 1/2 X 11 paper so you can tell the size.

Cost me right around 140 I think.

Attachments

• DSC01757.jpg
    DSC01757.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01758.jpg
    DSC01758.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01760.jpg
    DSC01760.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3
I have the big sears one on wheels. Sears actually makes good battery chargers for the money. I have used it for many years to start oil trucks heavy equipment etc. It was under 200$ IIRC

I got a small one from Sears (Die Hard)

It has Battery Type Selector:
Conventional Low Maintenance
Maintenance Free Deep Cycle

Charge Rate Selector:
2A
10A
50A Engine Start

Here a couple of pics next to a 8 1/2 X 11 paper so you can tell the size.

Cost me right around 140 I think.

got (i think) the same thing, and it works quite well. :thumbsup:

well it bit the dust. sears no longer carries them:mad2:. I was looking a couple from 'schumacher'. a bit more cash but a few extras. any heard good/bad about them. I know their website is a PITA to use:mad2:

so far I found them at TSC, Canadian tire(under NASCAR nameplate) and walmart.
I was looking at 2 different ones, both are wheeled. one is model se2001 and the other is se4022. the first one is cheaper but the second one has a battery+ alternator testers.

I had a schumaker. It was a POS. I replaced it with the sears. My sears is now 10 yrsold and been WELL abused. Still works fine.

I like the Minn Kota chargers for permanent under-hood installation, to keep the batteries topped off while the truck is plugged in. They're not as fast as a big bulk charger, but they'll charge most batteries overnight. I like that you wire them up once and forget them. The chargers seem to last about a decade.

Back