• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery Cables

Thanks for all the great infor guys! I am limited to only the auto part stores for my cables, as i don't have access to welding cable to ther other amenities mentioned. I was thinking about getting the 2 gauge wires, would that suffice?

I am using 2ga, that is sufficient.

like that site Bullseye. I'd been looking for the connectors to make up 2/0 jumper cables.

Yeah I just ordered a new 8 gang fuse block from them to add some more circuts on the Blazer. They have a lot of great products. I used the apliance switches to make my switch panel, which I need to finish somtime soon so I can post some pics of it.

I made my own cables for mine out of welding cable.
Ok, what you'll need:

Large guage welding cable
Lugs, sized to the cable to solder on the ends for side mounts(I never use top mount just personal pref)
Heat shrink tubing with glue (you can get it in black and red here http://www.wiringproducts.com/)
solder
propane torch for heating
3/8thsX16 studs or cut off bolt heads.
Time and a good place out of the wind to do this.

Take the cable and strip off about 4 inchs of the insulation, clamp a lug into a vice and insert the cable in. Heat the lug and solder the cable in. Set it aside and let it cool and repeat for other end. Continue until you have made all your cables. I included 12 guage ground wires with ring terminals to the body in my negitive cables and you can also include the alt hot wire in one if you like.

After the cables have cooled you can install the heat srink to seal them up and then install them using a 3/8thsX16 stud or bolt with the head cut off.

Best part about this is you can route the cables where you want. Also you can find a great connector on that site to make a great set of jumper cables so you don't even have to open the hood to jump someone. The bumper hole works great for a place to put the connector!:thumbsup:

The heat shrink with glue works best as it seals the cable ends to prevent corrosion from entering it and ruining the cable. And the larger the cable the better to a point....you dont need Class eight truck sized cables on your 6.5!! Not cost effective.

Nice website but their welding cable prices are crazy. Go to a welding supply store for the cable

This guy makes the heavier cable if you just want to by cable and not make them. I haven't done business with him, he was refered to me.

http://custombatterycables.com/application/GM_battery_cables.htm

I ordered cable terminals, lugs, terminal covers, shrink wrap, etc. from CustomBatteryCables.com in Jan and was quite happy with the service. Great selection of quality terminals, fair prices, & shipped quick.

Could be he's still selling components but not making complete cable assemblies until he's recovered from knee surgery. Maybe email to inquire if you're interested in buying from him.

Last edited:
Just an update, I ordered some 1/0 cable online, now i just have to get the ends and i'll be set. Thanks for the great website and info!

Back