• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad news in Thawville Left front brake fire on the 98 Suburban

Did comprehensive insurance cover that? I carry that so it covers anytime the vehicle itself causes damage, like a blown tire that makes me hit a curb and bend an arm or somthing would be covered and not considered an accident. Or a brake/bearing causing a wheel to start on fire. And I dont have full coverage, that would fix my car if I did just run into something.

No offense but claims like this have to be why insurance companies rape everyone. I see people losing control in rain and snow on bald tires wrecking there cars and insurance pays, no responsability on the owner to maintain the vehicle!! I can identify with wanting insurance to cover your issue and recoupe some of your premiums but I bet they jack your rates slowly and when you price shop no one will be competitive because you now have a claim. I firmly believe insurance is a scam and they have a license to steal.

well, you pay more for comprehensive insurance for things like this, and the lower the deductable the higher the cost. They arent going to cover a claim from bald tires on comprehensive, you are going to be charged with an accident and your rates will go up, and you may get a traffic ticket as well if you hit someone or damaged city or private property. You get charged a lot because they cover a lot of cost, like your car, the other car, or city guard rails and signs, ditches you tore up, ect.., or multiple cars or multiple injuries or possibly deaths. Imagine how much damage you could do with a vehicle and think about the insurance company's potential cost.

Can't say this was for lack of doing maintenance. I just replaced all these parts with Napa premium parts in August. With the exception of the steering Knuckle - no reason to mess with it at the time, outer tie rod end was good then, either the upper or lower ball joint was good. The bearing assembly came from mibearings.

The problem child was the new Napa premium caliper or flex hose.

The operator fault would be limited to driving 5 miles after it was realized there was a problem. But I was more pissed about the new bad caliper with about 15 or 20,000 miles on it.

No offense but claims like this have to be why insurance companies rape everyone. I see people losing control in rain and snow on bald tires wrecking there cars and insurance pays, no responsibility on the owner to maintain the vehicle!! I can identify with wanting insurance to cover your issue and recoup some of your premiums but I bet they jack your rates slowly and when you price shop no one will be competitive because you now have a claim. I firmly believe insurance is a scam and they have a license to steal.

Last edited:
I believe that would have rang a bell with me also.

It turns out the fire was on the passenger side. A passerby saw the fire as my daughter was heading towards the house, told her and called the fire department.
She parked broadside to the house and was heading in not knowing the Suburban was ablaze. It took a few trips with water to get the fire out just before the fire department showed up.

Thanks
Jeff

I saw this in my pictures folder and thought of you today. ;)

View attachment 24375

Sorry, couldn't help it.
I'm glad your daughter is alright and you're only out the cost of a caliper and some time.:thumbsup:

Hang in there.

Sorry to hear this, main thing is that all are OK
Late to the party here but based on what you say sounds definitely like a stuck caliper to me. You describe she felt it pulling and then tapped the brakes and it got worse. So caliper already sticking and tapping brake made it bite even more and of course being stuck did not release.

Glad to hear you are getting insurance to pay out on it.

Cheers
Nobby

Did she comment about it pulling to the left? A dragging brake on a front wheel would be pretty noticeable in handling.

You would think!
A month ago on my wife's 95 i was changing oil and greasing up when i found the left wheel wouldn't turn by hand no matter how hard i tried.
The caliper was stuck and the rotor was blue.She had never felt it pull,neither did I.
The only clues might've been that she would spin out on a bit of snow from a standing start and it did just needed a tap on the pedal to make it stop when braking.

One of my old demolition cars is like that, where the front brakes drag and you would never know until you either try to spin it freely or get in mud. Didnt work so well when the derby judges decided to soak the field with fire trucks and make too wet.

Back