• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATVs - What are you riding?? (Also , a brand specific question.)

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What are you guys riding??

I have some expenses I want to take care of before I buy, but cannot see myself with out a Quad come June or so, at the latest.

So, I have not bought yet, and was content with getting a 2011 Sportsman 400/500, and then along came winter and the internet... LOL

Started looking at the AC 450H1, and then found some stuff on the Outty 500.

All I can say, is I am in LOVE!! I absolutely love the rumble they make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w_EilAAtmI&feature=player_embedded

And also, Dirtrax did an excellent review of the new ones. I really love how they do not gripe on and on about little stuff that bothers them, as some guys do when they review, gets real annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQL3rxsh1OY&feature=player_embedded

Anyway, the good, bad, and ugly on the 500 please?? I will be getting a base Outty, but if a good used one comes along, will jump on it. Not a 2 up though, not really needed.

How is the fuel use?? And any heat issues?? 2011, or maybe 2010, any years to avoid?? Do not want to go too old, as I will have to finance it.

I have seen new 09 online with warranty, brand new units. Guess the 500 is not overly popular. All I need though.

I got an '09 King Quad 750 and other than Oil Changes, I haven't had any problems at all. The Steering might Feel a lil Stiff for some, but after Riding a few times, you get used to it.

Artic Cats Look too much like a Power Wheels IMO. Looks like they have ALOT of Plastic on them.

If I wanted to Spend the Money though, I'd def. get a Can-Am. Only thing I've Heard about them is the Frame is Weak, but you only find that out if you Wheel them pretty Hard, but it's an Easy Fix to Strengthen them up.

This is a good Place to get some Info as well: http://forum.highlifter.com/

I got an '09 King Quad 750 and other than Oil Changes, I haven't had any problems at all. The Steering might Feel a lil Stiff for some, but after Riding a few times, you get used to it.

Artic Cats Look too much like a Power Wheels IMO. Looks like they have ALOT of Plastic on them.

If I wanted to Spend the Money though, I'd def. get a Can-Am. Only thing I've Heard about them is the Frame is Weak, but you only find that out if you Wheel them pretty Hard, but it's an Easy Fix to Strengthen them up.

This is a good Place to get some Info as well: http://forum.highlifter.com/

ATR has a chassis spine for them.

http://atrpowersports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=191_161&products_id=1201

I am on HL, but love to see what others are riding, and if they have had any issues.

My ATV is a 2000 Suzuki King Quad (300). Got it out and rode it today over the hill in the cow pasture, since the weather was nice. Believe it or not it only has about 348 miles on it and I have had it since SEPT. Of 1999. Most of those miles were put on it one summer when I did some major trail riding. It is not the strongest ATV around but it will go into some rough places and it is low to the ground with a low center of gravity. The field across the hill is about straight off and is about 100 yards from top to bottom. I can gear it down in super low, 4 wheel drive and it will creep off the hill at 1 mph or less holding back without any wheel slippage. That is what I like in an ATV. Being a 300 the fuel mileage is pretty good compared to some of the 500's and bigger ATV’s. One of the down falls to it is its air cooled and not liquid cooled. I mounted a 12 volt fan in front of the engine that helps cool it down during low speed trail rides. If I was working one pretty regular I would go with at least a 500 or bigger and it would be liquid cooled.

muddin.jpg

2005 Honda Foreman 450 ES. 3 inch suspension lift, front and rear winches, on board air, front locker, rear end welded, gps, K&N air filter

Do tell.

Price. Availability. Dealers.

It is a 2011 Argo Frontier 8x8 with Adair tracks. It has a top speed of 25 mph on land and 5 mph in water with the tracks. I have run it through snow in excess of three feet deep, despite the tracks not being specifically designed for snow. The machine seats up to six passengers.

Depending on options, these Adair tracked 8x8s run in the neighborhood of $15-$20k and up. Adair Argo in Adair Iowa is the only dealer that handles these tracks, as they are custom made for each machine. Tim Schaffer is the owner of Adair Argo, and he will build you a machine to go just about anywhere. I had mine built and optioned out for waterfowl hunting, where I encounter deep mud and water travel.

Any Argo dealer can hook you up with an Argo and probably add a track system to it. What makes the Adair tracks unique is their light weight, superior mud traction and their water speed. Other tracks are useless in the water.

2001 Artic Cat 250 4x4. PLenty fast for me. Looking for another one similar for the wife. My 5 yr old rides a 50 cc Chinese KNockoff someone gave us. He has been riding since 4. He can ride my Artic cat but I only let him if I'm on it with him.

I have a 2009 Kawasaki Teryx, I you look farther down in this section you can find some pics of it.

I do not have any pics of it on me!

we've got 19 kawasaki brute force atv's that we use on the demolition range, definetly see alot of harsh use. most have been pretty reliable with just basic maintenance or repairs for when they get damaged by the rider (rollovers, hitting solid objects with some speed, etc), 2 have been notorious for puking coolant.

we've got 19 kawasaki brute force atv's that we use on the demolition range, definetly see alot of harsh use. most have been pretty reliable with just basic maintenance or repairs for when they get damaged by the rider (rollovers, hitting solid objects with some speed, etc), 2 have been notorious for puking coolant.

I wish Kawi had a 400-500 class machine, a smaller brute force. I would give them a hard look for sure.

Had Polaris Military 800's when I was active duty. No complaints there.

FD has Yamaha Grizzly's for wildland/offroad rescue, plus a 6x6 2 seat side by side with patient litter and back seat for patient care. Both are great.

I'm personally looking at an 04 Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 for myself and possibly an 05 Sportsman 700 for the wife to run with.

Times have changed and I forgot about this post. I sold the Teryx, bad move. The thing was a blast.

I know have a 1889 Yamaha Banshee, the wife has a 2012 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4X4, and my daughter has a Tao Tao 110 Chinese crap but she has lots of fun on it.

I want to get me a Kawasaki Prairie 700 4X4 and get my kids Kawasaki KFX50's.

When my son turns 6 next year he will get a Tao Tao like his sister. You can get them new for under $600. I would never get one of those used. They can get torn up way to easy.

Look into CF Moto and Kymco.

They actually get pretty good Reviews from Dirt Wheels and ATV Action. They're always doing Writeups on them.

Look into CF Moto and Kymco.

They actually get pretty good Reviews from Dirt Wheels and ATV Action. They're always doing Writeups on them.

I actually looked CF Moto over at the atv show, really impressed with what I saw.
Bought a 400HO May 2012, have 3,600 kms on it, very happy!! The 8120 in the background is not mine.

Back