• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT owner thread ?

A funny little note about a customer who installed his A Team. He called up, and couldn't figure out why he had no boost, horrible black smoke etc. Just wasn't running right. Turns out, the A Team pulled so much more air, it imploded his aftermarket rice burner air filter setup. Once he switched to the 97 airbox he had on a shelf, he immediately had great boost, power and almost no smoke. He loved it so much, he recommended it to his buddy, who now also owns an A Team plus KOJO tune.

There will be more marketing shortly and every bit of your advice on this thread is welcomed! Keep it coming, we've gotta get the word out. This thing works, and works very well.

I just don't like how it mounts, a T4 flange that just barely seals against the existing T3 flange. Granted, I don't own one. Running a couple Holset T3's.

I need some info if anybody can help me. Just a couple days ago I found an old thread, I can't remember what forum it was on, that was about Turbine Doc and Slim Shady's initial workup on the ATT. It was about 47 pages long and I was up to page 17 and enjoying all the info in it, and then with a slip of the feeble mind I lost it and can't remember how or where I found it. I'm just the type who will drive themselves batty for not being able to finish reading the thread and get all the info about the early days of the ATT. I found it very interesting to find out how the name came about.

I am very interested in the ATT and think that, from all the info I have gotten, it will fit what I am wanting. I want economy for DDing my pickup and reliable and strong towing when needed. I have been working towards this goal and just recently added gauges and 4" exhaust. A ATT turbo may be next when I can save up enough coin.

Anyhow, can anybody help me save my mind? llllllll (scratches on the walls of my mind)

Don

I need some info if anybody can help me. Just a couple days ago I found an old thread, I can't remember what forum it was on, that was about Turbine Doc and Slim Shady's initial workup on the ATT. It was about 47 pages long and I was up to page 17 and enjoying all the info in it, and then with a slip of the feeble mind I lost it and can't remember how or where I found it. I'm just the type who will drive themselves batty for not being able to finish reading the thread and get all the info about the early days of the ATT. I found it very interesting to find out how the name came about.

I am very interested in the ATT and think that, from all the info I have gotten, it will fit what I am wanting. I want economy for DDing my pickup and reliable and strong towing when needed. I have been working towards this goal and just recently added gauges and 4" exhaust. A ATT turbo may be next when I can save up enough coin.

Anyhow, can anybody help me save my mind? llllllll (scratches on the walls of my mind)

Don

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2015&page=47

There ya go bud! I also bumped it over in the "Performance 6.5" section. Great read!

No I believe the flange is just re drilled AFAIK. I'm sure Slim will clarify. The T3/T4 Adaptor may make the turbo sit too high. As it is It looked to me like the ATT sits higher than GMx. I'd personally be interested to see if it could sit ona Banks T3 Manifold.

I'm most defiantly another satisfied and proud owner of an ATT. The old GM-8 was pretty decent, and the only thing I miss was the turbo whistle. I saw an immediate increase in MPG, before (lift and SFA swap). Went from 14mpg consistently with 4.10 gears up to 17.5mpg consistent on the highway at 70mph. After SFA with 35" tires I have seen 19.7 on the highway at 65mph. This is unloaded though with no weight.

Big blue has pulled a max of around 4 tons, but even then the ATT made it feel like nothing was there compared to the GM-8, much better response and power. Defiantly changed the exhaust note quite a bit(I love the thunderous roar it gives off) compared to GM-8. Install was a piece of cake. Took me about 6 hours straight to do the whole thing. Drove to school the next day with it:thumbsup: I would most certainly recommend it to a friend. Hands down so much better than the stock GM-8.

18K later after the install and it still pulls like a champ.

IIRC the internal opening is close, the bolt pattern is what is modified. So no big deal, the work is already done for us.

FWIW back to the ATT, I towed 26-28k GVW on several occasions. One in particular was a load of pipe, 28k GVW up a 4% slope at 55 mph, 12 psi boost and 1050 egt. Power wasn't limiting me, I just wouldn't go past 1050 egt. This is with a K&N air filter open to the engine heat. With a CAI I could have gone faster IMO.

I'm most defiantly another satisfied and proud owner of an ATT. The old GM-8 was pretty decent, and the only thing I miss was the turbo whistle. I saw an immediate increase in MPG, before (lift and SFA swap). Went from 14mpg consistently with 4.10 gears up to 17.5mpg consistent on the highway at 70mph. After SFA with 35" tires I have seen 19.7 on the highway at 65mph. This is unloaded though with no weight.

Big blue has pulled a max of around 4 tons, but even then the ATT made it feel like nothing was there compared to the GM-8, much better response and power. Defiantly changed the exhaust note quite a bit(I love the thunderous roar it gives off) compared to GM-8. Install was a piece of cake. Took me about 6 hours straight to do the whole thing. Drove to school the next day with it:thumbsup: I would most certainly recommend it to a friend. Hands down so much better than the stock GM-8.

18K later after the install and it still pulls like a champ.

What you report here is very interesting as it shed some light on something I've been wondering about for a while.

265/75/16 tires (bigger than stock) are what came on my PU when I bought it. I have 4.10 gears and run about 2500 RPM at 70 MPH. Using the grimmjeeper gear ratio calculator a 315/75/16 tire would be an ideal size as far as gearing and motor RPM goes. That would put the RPM at 55 at about 1700 and at 70 at about 2100 RPM. This would be the sweet spot as far as RPM and economy for the 6.5TD.

But this so far is all theory, not actual experience. Usually when bigger tires come into the picture economy flies out the window. But what you are saying is that your mileage went up when you increased tire size. I am thinking this happened because you actually moved the motor RPM down into the sweet spot so that torque, RPM and speed all coincided. This scenario is what I've been wondering about for a while and you've just supplied some real world experience.

My next question would be concern about loosing low end towing power, that which is needed to get, lets say, a 10k lb load moving from a dead stop. Would the ATT make up for the gearing loss/bigger tire size in this situation? I would think that once the motor was up into the 1500 to 2200 RPM range that there would be no real big felt difference compared to stock size tires.

Just doing some out loud pondering. Your opinion/experience, and others would be welcomed as I gather info about the ATT mod.

Don

ps.--when you say 35" tires, are they wide or like the 315/75/16?

I've got 255/85/16s, about a 33.5 x 9 in flotation size. I think I've lost top-end towing power moreso than low-end towing power. It does everything great but really works way too hard on the big hills.
Maybe not that bad, maybe it's just that I want to be able to accelerate up a big hill. But I have no doubt a smaller tire would get me some power back.

Mud tires on the highway are gonna suck up some power Dan rolling resistance just does not compare to a highway tire, on advise from Bill I switched from the factory recommended AT 265s-75-16s I had, to commercial tires Goodrich commercial 235-85-16 s I gained some felt power, though the tires are nearly identical in size night & day difference on highway I used this handy tool for dimensional comparisons http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

My truck had great low end power with the stock 245/75R16's. But I like to keep the engine at around 1800rpm before it shifts so the gearing ratio was actually holding me back some as compared to keeping up with the normal flow of traffic. Now the power band has indeed been moved up. 1800rpm is the sweet spot for our motors so now I'm able to pick up speed at a better pace. In this case, the motor's HP /TQ is the actual limiter to get the weight up and moving now. Where as before, at 65mph I was spinning 2300rpm, now I'm spinning 1800 at 65mph. Didn't actually plan on that, it just happened really. The tires are Yokohama Geolander A/T's being about a 1/4" short of a 35" tire and 12.5" wide rolling on a 17" aluminum wheel.

I heard the exact same things when I was hunting for tires. Every now and then I saw an occasional person claim improved mileage going to a larger tire and the other 98% who lost fuel mileage usual flamed them. Not sure how the whole system works as I know I have alot more rolling resistance compared to the stock pizza cutters, but the reduced gearing ratio at highway speed has compensated for it. These where of course at "perfect conditions" if you will. 1 quart of 2 stroke oil per 34 gallons, a double dose of diesel kleen, and summer blend of diesel.

Don't want to jack Dennis' thread, so anybody thinking or questioning about the ATT should pretty much feel confident that they WONT be disappointed at all.

Also, there is no adapter for bolting the ATT to the stock manifold. Denis has a machinist drill and tap the existing flange for our T4 exhaust flange so all we do is pull the old turbo off and bolt the new one on. Then of course there is a little trimming of the stock intake and oil return but that's easy stuff one can do with a hacksaw and a ruler.

I just don't like how it mounts, a T4 flange that just barely seals against the existing T3 flange. Granted, I don't own one. Running a couple Holset T3's.

These are the type of things that can be cleared up. There are no barely seals issues and the mounting base is big enough to be a T4 but is manufactured as a T3. I wouldn't consider a 1/4 thick mounting base wimpy it will seal and not warp like the gm will do over time.

Yeah was that ever brought up in the original thread ? Just curious why a T3 to T4 Adaptor wasn't used ?

The adapter can be used but it adds more things to go wrong. The ATT mounting base is drilled and tapped for a T3 mount the very early ATT had the large mounting holes from the original heavy equipment casting. There have been changes in the casting mold to accommodate some cosmetic changes. The mounting base is 1/4 thick cast iron this is not a shoddy made product.

My truck had great low end power with the stock 245/75R16's. But I like to keep the engine at around 1800rpm before it shifts so the gearing ratio was actually holding me back some as compared to keeping up with the normal flow of traffic. Now the power band has indeed been moved up. 1800rpm is the sweet spot for our motors so now I'm able to pick up speed at a better pace. In this case, the motor's HP /TQ is the actual limiter to get the weight up and moving now. Where as before, at 65mph I was spinning 2300rpm, now I'm spinning 1800 at 65mph. Didn't actually plan on that, it just happened really. The tires are Yokohama Geolander A/T's being about a 1/4" short of a 35" tire and 12.5" wide rolling on a 17" aluminum wheel.

I heard the exact same things when I was hunting for tires. Every now and then I saw an occasional person claim improved mileage going to a larger tire and the other 98% who lost fuel mileage usual flamed them. Not sure how the whole system works as I know I have alot more rolling resistance compared to the stock pizza cutters, but the reduced gearing ratio at highway speed has compensated for it. These where of course at "perfect conditions" if you will. 1 quart of 2 stroke oil per 34 gallons, a double dose of diesel kleen, and summer blend of diesel.

Don't want to jack Dennis' thread, so anybody thinking or questioning about the ATT should pretty much feel confident that they WONT be disappointed at all.

Also, there is no adapter for bolting the ATT to the stock manifold. Denis has a machinist drill and tap the existing flange for our T4 exhaust flange so all we do is pull the old turbo off and bolt the new one on. Then of course there is a little trimming of the stock intake and oil return but that's easy stuff one can do with a hacksaw and a ruler.

This is what this thread should be about, real questions and real answers from people that own one, me included, but no one beleives the guy making them (go figure) thanks Jamie. My main concern is that people are happy with the turbo, no snake oil sales here, and just so people know the turbos are real tight tolerance units not sloppy made.

Oil pressure is the key, I had one turbo come back because the bearings and thrust plate were worn heavy. The compressor wheel had started to barely touch the housing, supposedly 3000 miles on the turbo.

I had the person send it back to me and I inspected it. All surfaces were worn evenly, and there was a graphite powder feel to the oil. I asked the person to check his oil pressure and pressure at turbo oil feed. Well he checked and was honest, told me his oil feed line to the turbo had started to disintegrate inside and the oil pressure was way down, it had even trashed the gm turbo he put back on. I rebuilt the turbo with new bearings and thrust plate, repaired the compressor housing and shipped it back at cost for parts and shipping no labor charge although I had quite a bit of labor into repairing it. The guy was honest and that was worth more to me than ripping him off.

The turbo is certainly not a fix all, but it is a good turbo for a daily driver or for someone that tows occasionaly or daily. I myself have towed a combined truck and trailer weight of approximately 28500 for 1000 miles and averaged 11 MPG for the entire trip. I like driving my truck more than ever now.

OK so I understand correctly the ATT in unaltered form is a T4 nd it remachined to fit a T3 ?
Also Dennis has anybody tried bolting one up to a Banks 6.2 Manifold ? Reason I ask is PO of my Dually has a Banks setup for 500$ but the turbo doesn't look to healthy to me. I have no idea how ATT would sit on it but I remember from seeing TD's truck it looked substainlly larger in phyiscal size to a GMx and the Banks is even smaller IIRC than a GM4.

This is what this thread should be about, real questions and real answers from people that own one, me included, but no one beleives the guy making them (go figure) thanks Jamie. My main concern is that people are happy with the turbo, no snake oil sales here, and just so people know the turbos are real tight tolerance units not sloppy made.

Oil pressure is the key, I had one turbo come back because the bearings and thrust plate were worn heavy. The compressor wheel had started to barely touch the housing, supposedly 3000 miles on the turbo.

I had the person send it back to me and I inspected it. All surfaces were worn evenly, and there was a graphite powder feel to the oil. I asked the person to check his oil pressure and pressure at turbo oil feed. Well he checked and was honest, told me his oil feed line to the turbo had started to disintegrate inside and the oil pressure was way down, it had even trashed the gm turbo he put back on. I rebuilt the turbo with new bearings and thrust plate, repaired the compressor housing and shipped it back at cost for parts and shipping no labor charge although I had quite a bit of labor into repairing it. The guy was honest and that was worth more to me than ripping him off.

The turbo is certainly not a fix all, but it is a good turbo for a daily driver or for someone that tows occasionaly or daily. I myself have towed a combined truck and trailer weight of approximately 28500 for 1000 miles and averaged 11 MPG for the entire trip. I like driving my truck more than ever now.

Like I said Slim, I'm a damn proud and happy owner of the ATT. Well worth the money. Forgot about the customer service aspect of it. So I'll add that on too. Dennis was there for me the whole time. From the moment I told him I was interested in his project, to the actual purchase, all the way to a few final questions after the install was complete and things to watch out for. Come to think of it, I don't think there was a single question I had for him(ATT wise), that he couldn't answer about the turbo, and it wasn't "tech talk", it was simple, understandable, layman's terms.

I just finished reading the 47 pg origional thread on the ATT. Between that thread and this one I'm sold. I just need to figure out how to finance the purchase, I'm on a limited income. What can I sell? Anybody wanna buy a Ford PU with a 460? Nah, you guys already got better rigs--6.5 diesels with ATTs.

Don

Back