• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Are you a blood donor?

Are you a blood donor?

• voluntary

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • involuntary (working on truck for example)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Can't (for one reason or another)

• Never have, but thought about it

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Never have and never plan too

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score

This weeks contribution by BigBlueChevy.....

Thanks Jamie

Are you a blood donor?

• voluntary
  • involuntary (working on truck for example)
  • Can't (for one reason or another)
  • Never have, but thought about it
  • Never have and never plan too

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

I use to, after going down range so many times and taking all the forced pills. They do not like my blood much any more.

I need to try again. :thumbsup:

I've donated more than my fair share involuntary, but technically I'm not supposed to donate because of my bodies problem regenerating blood cells. After I got in my car wreck, my left femur is all stainless inside(was titanium the first time, but it broke so it got replaced with stainless). They had to remove all of teh bone marrow in my left femur the last time they did it, so it now takes my body a LONG time to regenerate blood cells(If I cut myself bad I will get sick from how long it takes my body to catch back up). it's a shame to because I'm a universal donor(type O-)

I usually give double's twice a year. They love me because I have high iron in my system, as I eat a lot of meat.

There are places that will pay for plasma and some blood products depending on the need I think. But most blood drives I have donated at are donations and do not pay you.

I didn't vote because I haven't donated in years but use to do it at work when they came every once in a while. I was drawing in AutoCad and was so bored I enjoyed the break. Only missed it once in 7 yrs or so when my boss had a meeting that dragged on way too long. When it is convient I will donate but never really went out of my way to go get stuck.

One of my fondest memories was donating at college. The cheerleaders volunteered and ran the recovery area giving out cookies and juice. I had a friend that would get light headed and might faint when getting stuck needles bothered him. He had two cheerleaders help walk him to the recovery area and give him sympathy and of course he milked it. To this day I kick myself for not being a better actor and trying for some attention. That was one of best incentives (cheerleaders) and I didn't miss it for 4yrs.

Looking back there were a good many Alumni that came back ;-) but I worked a little too far away.

I have heard its good for men to donate because its the only way to get an excess of iron out of your blood. Women have to worry about taking iron because they menstrate but men usually have no problems with iron levels (and depending should avoid vitamins with iron as you don't want too much).

One of my fondest memories was donating at college. The cheerleaders volunteered and ran the recovery area giving out cookies and juice. I had a friend that would get light headed and might faint when getting stuck needles bothered him. He had two cheerleaders help walk him to the recovery area and give him sympathy and of course he milked it. To this day I kick myself for not being a better actor and trying for some attention. That was one of best incentives (cheerleaders) and I didn't miss it for 4yrs.
That's pretty funny cause I donated once on an empty stomach. When they were drawing the blood they asked if I was OK, I said I am fine. Shortly thereafter they asked again if I was OK and I said the room is spinning a bit but I am OK with it. They said that's enough and proceeded to pull out the needle. I said no I am OK leave it in but they took it out. They later told me they knew there was a problem as I was getting whiter, presumably from shock. Used to be I'd donate on a Friday and then hit the pubs for beer and food. Less blood meant you got bombed easier.

I donate to the Red Cross, it's a donation. Last time I gave they gave me a coupon for a free cup of ice cream at Culver's, and they give you snacks and beverages, but never gotten paid. Lots of my friends donate plasma for extra $$$, but the Red Cross doesn't pay.

When you donate blood, you must be completely hydrated, and have a decent meal beforehand. People usually faint because of the lack of fluid in their systems. I have never been payed for any blood donations.

A friend of my sister's donated the day after a sunburn while wearing a shortsleeve shirt. Next day wore a sundress and had a red tan line. Everyone in office busted her all day long that they must have taken 1 too many pints (since her arm was white above the line and red/pink below the line like a sight gauge).

I'm AB+ so they will usually only take plasma from me because it can be given to anyone. Have donated blood a few times a year since I was in high school.

Even did it once like an idiot two days before a bike race. The race didn't go so well.

I donate a double RBC twice a year of O-. I usually go work out after, I "feel the burn" faster after giving blood. I might not be able to lift as much that day but I get twice a sore. I drink ~1gal of water a day including protein shakes and light mixes of gatorade (1/2 the recommended amount of powder) so hydration isnt an issue. My iron is usually off the charts (with my colesterol).

Working on my eleventh gallon. O-neg, they love me, at least someone loves me.
1st donation was in basic training at Lackland AFB in 1966. Volunteers got a day off.

Voted involuntary.

Used to donate to Red Cross, but can no longer donate after contracting Hepatitis A.

Voluntary: O+ Its been a while i need to put that on my list.
Involuntary: at least every month from working on something.

Back