• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

APP blues

if all mentioned above checks out, pull the rear wheels, slide the drums off and check the hub and inner drum surface for dirt debris and rust making sure the drums are mounting flat on the hub surface. also while yo have the drum off rotate the hub and make sure you don't have a bent hub or axle.

remount the drums and adjust them out so they have a little resistance. rotate the drum and see if seems to have a grab and release effect to them. a little "grab n release" effect is ok but if it's a lot where when it's in the "release" area and you can adjust the shoes out to the point that it feels free in one position and then grabs so hard you can't turn them a full revolution, something is out of round. maybe the drums are from china or they have been dropped hard causing the out of roundness.

at work we do brake jobs on the big rigs, we see out of round drums all the time so now we will always mount the new drums on a lathe truing them up before installing. this might be a route you have to go.

if they are really too far out of round to the point that turning them will put them at the limits of being too thin, see if where you bought them from will exchange them. take them in with the mic and show how out of round they are.

I have learned over the years to buy the TOP OF THE LINE rotors and drums. Napa Ultra premium is all be use at the shop. Really help keep brake come backs down. Before we started using the better rotors we use to machine EVERY rotor and drum before we installed it. Added and hour to a brake job but made a hell of a difference on the cheaper brake parts.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be pulling the motor and rebuilding it. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket cams, namely the cam from SSDiesel. Specs says it adds an additional 40 HP and 80 pounds of TQ. I've never used a cam or larger injectors in a diesel setting and am curious.

SS Diesel is the definition of overpriced and underwhelming. And I'm skeptical of any upgrade advertising more HP out of thin air. Like claiming performance marine injectors adding more HP with no changes made to fueling or air.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of custom cam work @Twisted Steel Performance can probably bust some of the aftermarket myths out there and set you in the right direction. He's come up with his own upgrades for 6.5s using a combination of stiffer valve springs, slow bleed lifters and stronger pushrods. I know a cam regrind can give more torque, but to get the most out of it you need to address everything else in the chain.

Back when I was looking into cams I found a NAPA that let me go in the back and look at the old paper books . Specs for all the cams they sold , what they fit , etc . All the 6.2 and 6.5 cams are the same , turbo or NA . Can't comment on the P400 . The specs on the SS Diesel look a lot like the stock cam specs . I would not be interested that cam .

There are a couple "reground cams" out there, these are stock cams that have been slightly changed by the regrind process.
Now, regrinding is nothing new as well as welding the lobes to really change the cam specs. One warning when looking at regrinds from any vendor ---- if the cam DOESN'T require new pushrod's not much has been changed.. major changes remove metal from the base circle of the cam and always require longer pushrods..
And ALL the stock cams for a 6.2/6.5 are the same spec....

Yes I do have a few cams being welded and ground to very different specs, anyone that thinks GM used the best power & torque cam profile when designing this "fuel mizer" motor ???????

There are a couple "reground cams" out there, these are stock cams that have been slightly changed by the regrind process.
Now, regrinding is nothing new as well as welding the lobes to really change the cam specs. One warning when looking at regrinds from any vendor ---- if the cam DOESN'T require new pushrod's not much has been changed.. major changes remove metal from the base circle of the cam and always require longer pushrods..
And ALL the stock cams for a 6.2/6.5 are the same spec....

Yes I do have a few cams being welded and ground to very different specs, anyone that thinks GM used the best power & torque cam profile when designing this "fuel mizer" motor ???????
I think everyone here is on the edge of their seats waiting to see the results of what You are creating.

My work transfers me to different locations and while I’ve had no problems really in pulling my fifth wheel other than to remember it’s an old school diesel and doesn’t have the yank the newer trucks have,I would like to have more power and torque than stock so I’m interested building a reliable puller.F0942933-5203-41A7-A9D7-42BB8961AF8C.jpeg6A769D90-2B47-4BE9-9BEE-6B7533F7A924.jpeg72779426-8B25-4FDC-8BAD-37B51149B6C7.jpeg

Back