• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone blow a rear end? I think i did! What do you think?

Got to weed out the weak spots some how haha

The 14 bolt really isn't a weak spot, but the G80 design has a flaw in it. The carrier splits in half and is held together by the ring gear bolts and preload from the carrier bearings. As they get worn, the carrier bearings lose some of there preload and allows the housings to spread apart when the G80 engages and ramps up the engagement cog. This either cracks the housings, or in you case took out some gear teeth. I'm still running my factory G80 unit in mine with over 200K miles on it, and it is still going with the DURAMAX in front of it and some hard towing. Them burnouts though will flat out WRECK one.

As stated earlier, 14BFF can be found everywhere for pretty cheap complete. If no local junkyards, then hit up pirate4x4, all the good stuff seems to be in your neck of the woods anyways, well there and California :)

I found a reman diff carrier for my rear end. Im ordering that on wednesday and truck is going in shop this week so i should be good to go by next week

Thanks for all the help guys

You might google Aussie Locker. They go in an open carrier tho. They lock up kind of like the gov loc, BUT, cam lock not clutch lock. Downside, slight clicking when turning tight.

Back