• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone blow a rear end? I think i did! What do you think?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
I did a couple burnouts next thing you know when i go around turns both my wheels are locked in and clicking coming from the rear.

Thought these 14 bolt full floaters were good for 1000 ft lbs?

Any suggestions? I havent pulled the diff cover yet but im willing to bet there is some carnage in there, i mean why else would both wheels be locked in all the time all of sudden?

Well found ANOTHER weak spot on this truck. but motor keeps answering lol no issues in that department haha

First blew the tranny now the rear, whats next?!

The factory gov lok is a weak link in the 14 bolt full floater rear end, and it has been broken before in simliar fashions. Burnouts are brutal on them(I know pot calling teh kettle black here with my pics and videos), and it actually spreads teh case open and breaks it that way from the gov lok engaging and ramping in the locking mechanisms. Chances are you will find either s tripped gear in the locker, but most likely a cracked carrier.

Thought it was a limited slip, it would only spin posi once in a while

im going out now to pull the cover and see what i can find

more axles than I care to admit. the factory g80 is the weak link in the axle. a open diff, true limited slip, true locker, or a spool are all much stronger options.

The g80 functions as an open diff unless it senses the wheels moving at different speeds by a significant amount. Then it engages and acts like a locker.

detroit if you want a fulltime locker. Makes for some quirks when driving on the street (less noticable the longer the vehicle is)

Got the cover off and found some metal pieces in there, spider gears seem to be toasted i think its them anyway.

What would be the quickest fix without swapping entire rear end?

with a g80 housing there isn't one, needs carrier replacement to do it correctly.

Your axle housing itself is not the problem, is the g80 differential carrier. You can re-use your ring/pinion as well as your axle shafts.

If your not worried about different driving characteristics such as wheel hop around corners you can weld your spider gears together, makes the diff function as a spool. I would not recommend that for a on road vehicle, offroad only. Do a search on 'lincoln locker' on google, pretty common with trucks/jeeps that do alot of hard offroading and don't have the money for a locker.

Cant i swap out the stock carrier for a locker and just reuse the ring and pinion gears?

An automatic locker is what i would like to have. locked all the time will not work for me.

Figure its time for upgrading since its toasted

I'm doing ARB Air lockers on my 93 when i get it back up and running. Open diff until you flip a switch then its fully locked. Only downside is price, you buy the locker, lines, and compressor. I would send you my 93's 410 G80 if i was ready to swap out but im not there yet.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever change the fluid in the rear dif, if so what did you refill with?

I'm doing ARB Air lockers on my 93 when i get it back up and running. Open diff until you flip a switch then its fully locked. Only downside is price, you buy the locker, lines, and compressor. I would send you my 93's 410 G80 if i was ready to swap out but im not there yet.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever change the fluid in the rear dif, if so what did you refill with?

I thought about arb but as you mentioned extra cost parts ect, its not for me. Just trying to go an easy route on this. Sure would be nice to have your stock diff. I have checked ebay for some diff carriers and found 2 open diffs, one is from an 80 some thing model year so not sure if it will work.

Ya know, i never changed the fluid and i wish i did. That gear oil was cooked very dark brown. I only added some valvoline 80w 90 gear oil after a replaced a leaking pinion seal but that was about a year ago.

the parts search continues!!!...

With 237K then i guess you might be about on par for a rear end. I'm not sure if my 94 has ever had a rear end problem but i know my 93's works perfect, turns easy but in the mud or dirt I spin all 4 rears with ease (even did a burn out, poor clutch didnt like it)

reread the last post of mine, think you missed the part about being able to re-use your ring/pinion (assuming it's not worn too badly)

Sounds like a locker will work for you then (it disengages when you let off the skinny pedal). Problem for you is that you will also need to purchase an 'open' carrier (adds about 150 bucks new) because they wont work with a g80 carrier.

years with the 10.5" 14 bolt full floater don't vary much, if any.

that one you posted should work just fine. The hardest part of the entire swap is getting the backlash set properly which requires a guage

that one you posted should work just fine. The hardest part of the entire swap is getting the backlash set properly which requires a guage

i knew there was something like that involved.

i was already planning on reusing my original ring and pinion

Hit the junk yard before you buy anything online. The 14bff is a very common axle to find in a bone yard for 100-150 complete. Pull the carrier and swap it out with yours if you find one with the same gears.

Back