• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

And Another From Ohio

23t

Reaction score
Hello group! Here trying to find info and help with my 97 Chevy k2500 4x4. I finally had a chance this morning to make some money plowing snow but the front differential housing decided it wanted to become 2 piescs. ????? I will post the rest in the diff section. Any help will be greatly appricated.

Welcome. Assuming you're from the Cleveland area since that's the only portion of Ohio that probably got snow worth plowing, are you saying your differential housing broke?

Please fill in your signature with your truck info. That way it shows up in your signature every time you post

I'm about 60 miles south. Just got enough to push. And yes, the housing cracked right in half. The only thing I can figure is something broke and got jambed in the gears.

Tried the sig. thing, now we'll see if it worked.

Welcome to TTS 23t.

You'll need to look through your RPO codes to find your ratio. The parts yards usually can cross that with the tag on the donor front diff. Sounds like things went to crap in a hurry in there.

Common GMT400 chassis ratios:

GT4 -- , 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- , 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- , 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- , 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- , 3.42 RATIO

Thanks for the welcome!! And yes they did 3500gmc. Found my code (GT4). You can read about my day (LOL!) in the Driveline thread if you like.

I thought I had one but I can't find it now. My PC is like my desk, a big mess!! I see what i can do!

There's a '99 burb 4x4 at the pullapart on the cleveland west side. I already grabbed some stuff from it, but the front end is still there.

Welcome to TTS!

Thanks! That's good to know but I hope I won't be needing to do any repairs like that for a while!! LOL

Back