• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Am i the only one?

simpleman

Reaction score
Who camps? No camper no nothing. Just a tent, knife, and whatever i can carry in my pack? I dont have a stove i cook on the fire. I dont park next to water hook ups but instead I have to clear where im going to sleep before dark.

ROFL... the guy dry camps like a minimalist, then installs a touchscreen PC in his dash...

You are indeed a complicated man, simpleman! We are gonna have a lot of fun here, I just know it... welcome!

That's cause he uses the PC to have all his supplies delivered to his location once he gets there. :D :D

Before our second kid showed up we would camp out of the bed of the truck. Put the porta-crib in the front of the bed on one side for our 2yo, dogs slept next to the crib, lay out our sleeping bags in the rest of the bed. Was downright cozy with the topper on. Lots of body heat keeping it warm. We do use our cabover camper now, although rarely is it at a designated campground. Wherever we find a good spot to park in the woods.

When my patrol area was a large chunk of the Selway/Bitterroot wilderness I would sometimes pack in with the horses, or get flown into an airstrip and hike out, or just hike in and hike out. Sometimes overnight, sometimes 5-7 days. I could splurge a little in supplies with the horses, but had to go pretty minimalistic when hiking.

Here's a taste of my workplace :D

PA140008.jpg

PA140015.jpg

Some beautiful country in Idaho, I used to Bike through it quite a bit.

Gorgeous, all right... we went from Missoula across to Grangeville last year, then down through the Whitebird Battlefield to Caldwell on our way to Reno to visit NVMtnLion - amazing drive through the Lolo and Clearwater forests... the Lewis and Clarke trail...

I will be back someday.

Attachments

• Day 3 - Lolo River.jpg
    Day 3 - Lolo River.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Day 3 - Lolo Summit.jpg
    Day 3 - Lolo Summit.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Day 4 - Thank God for Jake brakes.jpg
    Day 4 - Thank God for Jake brakes.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Day 4 - Sunset on the Plaeau.jpg
    Day 4 - Sunset on the Plaeau.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Jim, NICE! I just drove down ID 95 today. From Lewiston down past Grangeville to Riggins, I'm here for the state dart tournament.

simpleman, I haven't done anything that barebones. I've driven somewhere and unloaded a tent and stuff from the truck. Never been out of sight of the truck.

amazing drive through the Lolo and Clearwater forests... the Lewis and Clarke trail...

That was my backyard for 6+ years. Lived across the highway from the Lochsa Lodge. I do miss it sometimes, although the winters were looooooonnnnnngggg.

I was a minimalist camper until I got married. Sleeping in a Winnebago hooked up at an RV camp is my wife's idea of "roughing it." The entire side of her family is that way.

I took my son and the Boy Scouts on several survival camps a few years ago. I hope that they all hold on to those skills.

We tented until our kids were 8-10 years old. After we had bear sniffing around our tent at night my wife figured that was enough of that and insisted we get something more substantial. Now we have air conditioning...

you must be somewhat young....as you get older sleeping on the ground sucks more and more. I tent camped for years during deer season. It'd be so cold that everything in the tent would freeze during the night. If it rained then everything got damp and muddy. We used to have to sit around the fire at night and drink enough beer so you'd fall right to sleep when you got in the tent.
These days I go to bed laughing and hoping that my generator and heater running doesn't keep the tent campers awake. :D

Im 30. I dont go out and rambo it for 2 weeks Usually just saturday morning til sunday night. No bears here. We have 85 acres of woods on our farm is usually where i go. No cell phones allowed as I like to use the time as a break so its nice to be close if there is an emergency and someone needs me. Did i mention i also have wifi and can tether my iphone to have internet in my truck at all times.

Im 30. I dont go out and rambo it for 2 weeks Usually just saturday morning til sunday night. No bears here. We have 85 acres of woods on our farm is usually where i go. No cell phones allowed as I like to use the time as a break so its nice to be close if there is an emergency and someone needs me. Did i mention i also have wifi and can tether my iphone to have internet in my truck at all times.

Hehe, cell phones are paperweights most of the time around here regardless of what provider you have. Heck even GPS units have a hard time hitting enough satellites to work properly in a lot of areas.

Of all the critters we have it's the moose I fear the most. Nothing scares them and they are curious about everything......well, that is unless I'm in grizzly country but camping takes on a whole new meaning then.

Wow, that is some beautiful country, always wanted to go there. If I ever run away that's where I'm going.
Around here you'd be hard pressed to find a place to camp rough, everything is someone elses private property. I would really love to try my hand at survivalist type camping, I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and I love the outdoors. I wasn't a Boy Scout but I learned a couple things in the Marines. I like to think I could survive awhile if I had to. Hey, if Les Stroud isn't dead yet, there's hope for all of us!
I will admit to enjoying the other kind of camping. Our bunkhouse will sleep ten, has heat and AC, cable-ready etc etc. It's even four seasons insulated, which has yet to come in handy. So we don't rough it, but the kids love it, it's relaxing to get away from work and not watch the clock, even if I am hooked up to electricity, sewer and water.
When we started out we camped in a borrowed tent. Moved up to a compact popup which I think was smaller than the tent. On to a 24 foot tt, now we have a 33' bunhouse with a 12' slide. I think the wife wants to keep going, maybe a 35+ foot fiver, but I'd rather get the kids grown up then drop back to a big popup.

A friend and I used to tent it while we were in school on weekends. We would head to some of his or my parents land on our dirt bikes and camp for the weekend. All we took was matches bootleg beer and hotdogs. One time we camped in a creek bed, soft grass. We woke up with 2" of water running through the tent and pouring rain. That was a cold ride home at 3AM.):h

ROFL @ Leo... there's a reason why prairie creekbeds are full of soft grass...

I've spent my time camping with a bedroll and plastic groundsheet, carrying De-Hi food and eating by opportunity (fish, berries, roots, all that ucky stuff). Loved it - 35 years ago. Then marriage, tent, kids, softtop TT, a few hardtop TT, trailer, 5er, kids move away from home ... now the missus and I camp (and yes,we use the term loosely) in a Diesel Pusher. A/C, hot water, microwave...

Our idea of survival camping has changed (I prefer the term 'evolved') over the years. These days we get freaked when we don't have 50 amp power...

ROFL @ Leo... there's a reason why prairie creekbeds are full of soft grass...

I've spent my time camping with a bedroll and plastic groundsheet, carrying De-Hi food and eating by opportunity (fish, berries, roots, all that ucky stuff). Loved it - 35 years ago. Then marriage, tent, kids, softtop TT, a few hardtop TT, trailer, 5er, kids move away from home ... now the missus and I camp (and yes,we use the term loosely) in a Diesel Pusher. A/C, hot water, microwave...

Our idea of survival camping has changed (I prefer the term 'evolved') over the years. These days we get freaked when we don't have 50 amp power...

It didn't look like rain when we set up or went to sleep:nonod: Every thing else was hard prairie that was uneven. We never did that again.:D

This is my idea of roughing it now. I used to sleep in the bed of my S-10. I thought I was hot chit when I got a piece of old carpet back there. Now, I love a hot shower and a good movie to watch while a doze off in cozy comfort. I like to think I have progressed into this stlye of rough camping.

I like the people who camp at Walmart! LOL, Walmart allows people to overnight in their lot, probably because they come inside and buy tons of stuff. It just cracks me up when I see it, ma and pa in camp chairs around a hibachi while everyone drives by.

I like the people who camp at Walmart! LOL, Walmart allows people to overnight in their lot, probably because they come inside and buy tons of stuff. It just cracks me up when I see it, ma and pa in camp chairs around a hibachi while everyone drives by.

I've camped in Walmart before... when you're on the road and don't plan on doing anything but stopping, sleeping, then moving on, Walmart is a good place to do that, rather than paying $35 for a campsite next to the Gornicke's ...

Lots of Walmarts won't let you camp there nowadays... municipal ordinances passed in attempts to let the local campground guys continue to hold travellers hostage. Seems that free-enterprise isn't always free.

Back