• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AirDog II Filter Replacement

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to change my AirDog II filters today for the first time.. These things are dumping out the diesel as I loosen the filter and it isn't slacking up. What gives? Are the suppose to dump out like that?

You will need a ball valve to shut the fuel off between the tank and the Air Dog.

It is siphoning the fuel out of the tank.

:eek:

You will need a ball valve to shut the fuel off between the tank and the Air Dog.

It is siphoning the fuel out of the tank.

:eek:

They don't tell you that in the features list huh?

Most are telling me to crimp down the hoses temporary so it will slow down/stop until I can get it changed.

Jeff,

Just fold a piece of cardboard and put it in some vice grips.

Clamp the fuel line before the pump and you'll be all set.

Rich

That's the same minor issue I had with my homemade filter deal. I changed it for the first time, figred what was running out was just left in the 1/2" fuel lines, but it continued to pour out. Quickly coming to the realization that I was soon going to have 26 gallons of diesel in my 15 quart drain pan, the new filter was installed promptly.

Retrofitting a ball valve in the supply line is on the list next time I change it.

The AirDog must be different then the FASS that I have. As long as the truck is off, I get about 1/2 a quart of fuel that comes out as I spin the filter off, but it slows up and stops after about 5 seconds or so. But I haven't had it pour out like you guys are talking about.

jeff crimp the line. it should be the blue rubber i assume. it will be fine. dont crimp it so tight that is cuts or tears in any way, but the card board and vice grips is cool. it only takes a second to swap filters so a trickle is okay.

The AirDog must be different then the FASS that I have. As long as the truck is off, I get about 1/2 a quart of fuel that comes out as I spin the filter off, but it slows up and stops after about 5 seconds or so. But I haven't had it pour out like you guys are talking about.

The issue is not so much between the AirDog and the FASS, it's a matter of where the pump is located in relation to the tank.

If your pump is lower than the tank, as soon as you remove the water seperator, it'll gravity feed and pour out.

Mine is mounted up high, just below the filler neck so the only thing I get is the fuel that's in the seperator and filter.

A lot of the AirDog's are mounted down on the frame rail, below the tank, and this will run until the tank is dry unless you pinch the line.

The issue is not so much between the AirDog and the FASS, it's a matter of where the pump is located in relation to the tank.

If your pump is lower than the tank, as soon as you remove the water seperator, it'll gravity feed and pour out.

Mine is mounted up high, just below the filler neck so the only thing I get is the fuel that's in the seperator and filter.

A lot of the AirDog's are mounted down on the frame rail, below the tank, and this will run until the tank is dry unless you pinch the line.

Yep, that would explain it then. Where your filter is, is the same spot that mine is.

Back