• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ABS cycling

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I test drove a 99 k3500 dually tonite. When driving on gravel the rear brakes locked up really easily. Then out on asphalt when I did a hard stop, not locking anything up, the ABS cycled almost immediately. No light. Does the 99 have a speed sensor for the rear end?

Yes, the same one that runs the speedo. The VSS in the tail housing of the trans for 2 wheel drives, or the VSS in the tail housing of the transfer case for 4X4's. If it is a diesel the VSS goes to the VSSB, and then it sends out the speed signal to the ECM, radio, speedo, and ABS. If it is a gasser, the ECM handles the VSS signal, and sends out the speed signal to the radio, speedo, and ABS. Dullays use 1 3/16" diameter wheel cylinder's VS the 1 1/16" or 1" wheel cylinders of SRW trucks.

So I'm assuming the axle seals are leaking causing them to be grabby. My 96 has one side leaking a little and it will sometimes squeal fairly loudly as well as being grabby. But never does it activate the ABS, is there something wrong with the ABS?

It wouldnt to pull the drums and have a look see at the brakes, but it sounds like they're working. the duallys have quite a bit stronger rear brakes than srw trucks because of the larger wheel cylinders and different valving. Also, i have seen crappy front pads cause the rears to lockup because you have to get on the brakes so hard to stop. My burb would lockup the rears when i had akebono pads on it.

so I talked to a friend of mine with a 2000 k3500 dually, he said his ABS doesn't act like that so where would I start looking for issues? The ABS unit itself?

I would take the ABS out of the equation. You don't need to pull the fuse as you already know the rear is locking up too easy. I suggest the ABS is just trying to prevent the lockup and a symptom not the problem. Ferm covered not only can the rears be the issue, but front brakes and even a proportioning valve.

Do you know what kind of pads and shoes are on the thing? I would start there and check other brake hardware. Last rear brake lockup problem I had the shoes put the rivets into the drums and finally hit the steel backing plate. (Would have been faster to just cut the shot drums off vs. backing the adjuster all the way back off.)

On my 95 one rear wheeI Iocks up as soon as i thatch the brakes.
WheeI spins freeIy with axIe on the jack.
I puIIed the drum, everything Iooks fin, drum is smooth and Iots of Iife Ieft on the shoes.
What gives??

Nice Iooking rig Ies.
WouId you seII it for $6500 if you had it for saIe?

I wouId rather have a SRW, When empty those duaIies have no traction and are terribIe on dirt roads and snow.

I might try to get more but wouldn't be so niave to believe I would necessarily get it. I gave him a list of the issues I believed it had, ABS issue, steering issue (it drove fine but the steering wheel was cocked), windshield had several cracks. IMO if your going to ask top dollar everything should work as it should, otherwise it's a deduction.

Back