• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A technical discussion of OBDII tunes?

dka99burb

Reaction score
I would like to have a real discussion about OBDII tunes unless I missed a previous thread that covered this. I think there are a few people who would enjoy the discussion.

Since I am shopping, I would like to hear some about the best deals on tunes and how they perform but more specifically about the technical aspects. What are the differences from stock? What are your DD experiences? How about when you hook up the trailer? Running stock wastegate control or TM? Stock turbo or other?

I started by looking at some previous threads. Ratchenator's recent thread seemed to go off topic but I did get this from JiFaire's post which I thought could be a good reference to start from:
Obd2 pcm, for '97 6.5td
heath 549
kennedy 575
wester 595
ssdiesel 599
kojo 359

I looked at the Kennedy & Heath sites for comparison & confirmation since I don't know of a KOJO site. Kennedy is out of my price range but I don't mind hearing about the technical aspects of the tune if the mods don't object.

Heath actually has two prices. I am not sure what the difference is??
http://store.heathdiesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1180 - $395
http://store.heathdiesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=1108 - $549

I don't know of a site for KOJO's tune but several guys here seem to like it. KOJO's tune is listed above for - $359

Other than price, what else is different? Keeping the discussion about the technical aspects and sources would be appreciated.

The price difference is between OBD1 and 2.

I have a Westers Obd1 tune, it is much better than stock, but I would like to try another. The one thing I don't like is the 60 kph TCC lockup.

Do the tuners label their the PCM when they tune it? I don't think there is a snowball's chance that mine is tuned but I am a measure thrice cut once kind of guy. I double check everything! Drive myself nuts sometimes...:willynilly:

Lyndon Wester makes his own tunes; he developed the process and made a turnkey solution.

Lyndon also makes Walts tunes at SSDiesel...

Lyndon sold the equipment and software to John Kennedy, and John makes his own.

Bill Heath writes/burns his own tunes, as does KOJO.

Another former member here, GreatWhite, was doing his own work with OBD-2, but he doesn't come around much anymore.

Dennis (slim shady) and Fermanator are working on tunes, also. With the help of a few other members.

Lyndon Wester makes his own tunes; he developed the process and made a turnkey solution.

Lyndon also makes Walts tunes at SSDiesel...

Lyndon sold the equipment and software to John Kennedy, and John makes his own.

Bill Heath writes/burns his own tunes, as does KOJO.

Another former member here, GreatWhite, was doing his own work with OBD-2, but he doesn't come around much anymore.

Dennis (slim shady) and Fermanator are working on tunes, also. With the help of a few other members.

Cool. I would like to hear more about what our members are working on.

For DD experiences. I started with the vac system and ended up making a turbomaster. The ecm was tuned to max out at 15 psi. Tc set to lock at 47mph. So far the tune works great. My rig has gone from slow to fast for a truck. Turbomaster set to max out at 14psi. She sits you in the seat some now and doest stop pulling.

For DD experiences. I started with the vac system and ended up making a turbomaster. The ecm was tuned to max out at 15 psi. Tc set to lock at 47mph. So far the tune works great. My rig has gone from slow to fast for a truck. Turbomaster set to max out at 14psi. She sits you in the seat some now and doest stop pulling.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you ever make it down towards Greensboro? I would like to see how your rig runs.

I rarely come out that way but I have been discussing a 'mountain trip' with the wife. How far are you from the tweetsie railroad and linville falls areas?
It may be spring before we do it though.

Back