• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A simple yes or no--can you answer the question?

Z71_Silvy

Reaction score
I'm posting this on three sites. I want to upgrade my sound system to a 'LUX' system. I want better sound but will not go with anything other than stock components. I understand how superior the lux amp is...but I also am under the impression that you need a "lux" HU to go with it. So...the question becomes:

Did this radio EVER since 2003, come in "lux" form...OR...can it work with a lux amp?

chevrolet1509front.jpg

Last edited:
The tech II instructions to reprogram the stock radio:

ID Selected# Description
1 15849620 New software to correct in-plant programming issues.
2 15064112 North America/Domestic
3 15064134 For C/K/H2: UQ7 with Y91/Y92. For S/T: With UQA. IMPORTANT: "AMP" appears in Class 2 Message Monitor, Amp. has 3 connectors.
4 15126142 New calibrations to reduce chime volume.
5 15849621 New software to correct in-plant programming issues.

The Equalization program shows this for an option, too:

15195732 00004AB4 New calibration to turn off DTC B1281.

The tech II instructions to reprogram the stock radio:

ID Selected# Description
1 15849620 New software to correct in-plant programming issues.
2 15064112 North America/Domestic
3 15064134 For C/K/H2: UQ7 with Y91/Y92. For S/T: With UQA. IMPORTANT: "AMP" appears in Class 2 Message Monitor, Amp. has 3 connectors.
4 15126142 New calibrations to reduce chime volume.
5 15849621 New software to correct in-plant programming issues.

The Equalization program shows this for an option, too:

15195732 00004AB4 New calibration to turn off DTC B1281.

Great thanks!

Now, I've been reading the TNR install thread all over the internet by DURAtotheMAX. In that thread, he said:

The amp I highly recommend buying on ebay. Two reasons... the Lux
amps, when new, need to get an initial programming with a Tech II
diagnostics/program tool. (BTW, the amplifiers, both lux and Premium,
are located in the center console underneath the main storage bin)
This initial programming tells the amp what model/size vehicle its in
so it can adjust the DSP (digital signal/sound processor) to make the
sound correct for the size cabin its in. For example, an Escalade EXT
cabin is much smaller than an Escalade ESV cabin, so the amp needs to
be adjusted for best sound. This programmig can be tricky if the
vehicle that the amp is being programmed into is not a factory LUX
vehicle.

Well, wouldn't the dealer just tell the amp that it's installed into a Sierra Denali? That's not too tricky.

Then, there's this:

H2 lux amps are particularly picky, no one knows why. After reprogramming they just tend to randomly go dead after a little while. Denali and Escalade amps seem to be OK

They are all the same...just a different P/N right? And by reprogramming, I assume he means telling the amp that I buy (say it's out of a Yukon XL Denali) that it's installed into a Sierra Denali.

GMPartsdirect.com has the Sierra Denali P/N amp for $333.00. Should I get that...or one of the $300.00 lux amps on E-bay.

I just don't want to buy an amp, install it, enjoy it for a week, and then have it fry....I am trying to get those odds as low as possible.

It isnt gonna fry anything. I'll call Ben to find out for sure since he's the one who installed my amp for me. He's a member here so lemme see if I can get him to respond.

I see you've done your homework though.

Dont buy an amp yet. I know of several people who might have some laying around before you drop $500 on it.

The only time you need to worry about programming the amp is if you get a new one. Rather than go to the dealer for the amp, look on car-part.com. Select a 2004 Escalade, Radio/CD, amp. That's where I got mine. You don't NEED to re-calibrate the amp, but it's not a big deal to do, as long as you stay away from the H2 amp that Ben specified in his article (there's one that'll randomly become a doorstop after recalibrating for some unknown reason). As Nick said, your HU can be re-programmed to LUX (looks liek the 6 disc changer). I have my old one, left over from when I upgraded to a TNR on a shelf. I should be able to answer any other questions.

I SHOULD be able to reprogram stuff in a week or so, so if you don't find a source to do it for you, let me know.

I see you've done your homework though.

Absolutely. I enjoy very much being able to figure things out myself. So, I take the time to do a little research before I start asking hundreds of questions.

I was in the dark most of the time when I swapped a Marauder cluster into my CVPI. But it felt good when I was done.

Dont buy an amp yet. I know of several people who might have some laying around before you drop $500 on it.

Yes sir! :thumbsup:

The only time you need to worry about programming the amp is if you get a new one. Rather than go to the dealer for the amp, look on car-part.com. Select a 2004 Escalade, Radio/CD, amp. That's where I got mine. You don't NEED to re-calibrate the amp, but it's not a big deal to do, as long as you stay away from the H2 amp that Ben specified in his article (there's one that'll randomly become a doorstop after recalibrating for some unknown reason). As Nick said, your HU can be re-programmed to LUX (looks liek the 6 disc changer). I have my old one, left over from when I upgraded to a TNR on a shelf. I should be able to answer any other questions.

I SHOULD be able to reprogram stuff in a week or so, so if you don't find a source to do it for you, let me know.

Great. You and Nick have been extremely helpful.

As for the amp re-programming, I understand it's just to get the absolute best sound.

But I know that the HU reprogram is a must to get the system working.

I may just have you program it outright (possibly). I would trust you as you have done this swap and know the results I (we) are looking for.

just an fyi, i did mine way back. i had the six disc and i converted to lux. i was never happy after that. it was cleaner sound, but never had the volume the non lux had. not sure why. for shoots and giggles one day i borrowed a nav unit from an escalade and tried it in my truck. whoa the difference was night and day. the volume was incredible. i have since gotten a nav unit. not sure what happened to the 6 disc and the upgrade, but the nav is much better.

just an fyi, i did mine way back. i had the six disc and i converted to lux. i was never happy after that. it was cleaner sound, but never had the volume the non lux had. not sure why. for shoots and giggles one day i borrowed a nav unit from an escalade and tried it in my truck. whoa the difference was night and day. the volume was incredible. i have since gotten a nav unit. not sure what happened to the 6 disc and the upgrade, but the nav is much better.

Hmmm....Nick did you experience that?

-------------

I love the looks of the nav....but I already have a Garmin GPS unit and don't want to spend the money on the system.

For the cost of the whole nav system, I will be able to get the lux amp ($300.00-$400.00), a Silverado SS cluster ($250) AND a blackbear tune ($400.00)

See, I didnt notice anything different at all comparing my stock single disk to the nav. Once you get the speakers dialed in, I thought it was fine. I never thought it made much difference between the two amps until you really started to crank it up and thats when its completely noticeable. Its sharper and crisper, even the door chimes are different. Its a worthwhile investment.

it sounds a million times better. unbelievable difference. it could have been just a weird thing with mine to so dont beat your self up over it. i would do it again in a heart beat.

all silverados either come with the non lux bose or the el cheapo system. they might even use the same amp. just diff speakers. you definately dont have the lux amp if thats what your asking.

all silverados either come with the non lux bose or the el cheapo system. they might even use the same amp. just diff speakers. you definately dont have the lux amp if thats what your asking.

I know I don't have a lux amp...but the speakers are the exact same whether it be lux or non-lux. The difference is the amp.

Yes that was what I wanted to know. I have been thinking since you told me this...is the LUX amp that much better than the amp in my Bose system? Will it make much of a difference in the sound quality?

is the LUX amp that much better than the amp in my Bose system? Will it make much of a difference in the sound quality?
Yes and yes. You WILL notice a difference.

Back