• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 turbo silencer

I got mine off, Dont notice a thing, but that is because I also took the vaccum pump off and am driving around with no boost. Ill let you know when I get the trubomaster on. :)

this is my solution. Ed

attachment.php
attachment.php

I did mine exactly like this,(I did take a file and smooth it out for looks) :smile5:
cut like that to ensure it can't be sucked in

Just a suggestion, I would use a freeze plug, I would not cut the tube. The reason is its hard to go back if you cut the tube.

When I retrofitted the later air box to our 95 Suburban, I cut the end off the tube and used it to plug the hole. The new tube-less air box was noticeably louder than the old air box. Loud enough that I got complaints from the wife and at the time, it was her daily driver. I tried to find a used tube, but no luck. So I popped down to the local dealer and found that the tube is only sold as an assembly with the rubber bellows and at the time was like $85, probably over $100 now. I did eventually find a used tube and as soon as I installed it, the noise went away. It really made a huge difference. I did have to fab a bracket, but no big deal. If you have a complete tube, you can reinstall if you so desire. A cut tube will not do you much good.

Just a suggestion, I would use a freeze plug, I would not cut the tube. The reason is its hard to go back if you cut the tube.

When I retrofitted the later air box to our 95 Suburban, I cut the end off the tube and used it to plug the hole. The new tube-less air box was noticeably louder than the old air box. Loud enough that I got complaints from the wife and at the time, it was her daily driver. I tried to find a used tube, but no luck. So I popped down to the local dealer and found that the tube is only sold as an assembly with the rubber bellows and at the time was like $85, probably over $100 now. I did eventually find a used tube and as soon as I installed it, the noise went away. It really made a huge difference. I did have to fab a bracket, but no big deal. If you have a complete tube, you can reinstall if you so desire. A cut tube will not do you much good.

Sounds to me like a wife problem):h Just kidding

Back when I had the GM-8(and the truck actually whistled) when I cut the tube off and crammed it in there backwards I did notice quite a difference. I have to say. I miss the turbo whistle. Thats the only negetive I had to the ATT, it doesn't whistle... gotta be a way to make that thing whistle...

Will this work for muffling a wife? I'll need a freeze plug, because I already used my turbo muffler. I just cut the end of and stuck it in there. I might drill a little hole through from the side to secure it with a zip tie or screw or something, but it's been there a while now without budging. It doesn't feel like it could go in further.

It gives you a much better view of your belt tensioner, and eliminates clutter. I cut mine and stuck the tail in backwards with the nub so it'll never get sucked in like Tookie. (I think it was his idea that I copied)

Between that and V-Pump removal, you can actually see that side of the engine, right down to the turbo return feed into the block. Much better. I hate engine clutter.

i always wondered what that was. i guess i know now. but i like my hot air intake. i can hear my turbo now a lot better

Well I picked up a freeze plug and did the mod. Time will tell if I like it or not.

Just a question regarding the RTV...do I need to seal it up that good? It already seems to be sealed up.

I plugged mine and didnt notice any audible difference. The biggest sound difference i noticed was when i tried a "hot air intake" cone filter straight on the turbo, but for obvious reasons that didnt last.

Will this work for muffling a wife? I'll need a freeze plug, because I already used my turbo muffler. I just cut the end of and stuck it in there. I might drill a little hole through from the side to secure it with a zip tie or screw or something, but it's been there a while now without budging. It doesn't feel like it could go in further.

If your not using it on the truck I don't see why not):h Just make sure its a new plug, coolant has the worst taste... and it lingers despite repeated spitting and gargling:eek: You would never hear the end of it...

Back