• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 6.5

Jdbdiesel

Reaction score
hey guys, I found a 94 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 6.5 sitting in the weeds. I talked to the owner and he said for 600 bucks its mine. the only issue is The owner said when he parked it, it ran but had NO throttle response. Now its been sitting for a year and hes very sure with fresh battaries it will start but he doesnt know from there what will happen. Now, If it runs, that rules out the IP right?

I was thinking a restricted fuel filter or tps.

Its a nice looking truck but i just dont wanna buy it and then sink tons of money into trying to figure out what the issue is. Parts for diesels as ya'll know anit cheap.

Any help would be great! :)

Thanks

Jeremey

..........had NO throttle response. .............. Parts for diesels as ya'll know anit cheap.

Jeremey
need more info. bring 2 batteries and start it. there could be something loose because if there is no response, signal isn't reaching IP. could be IP connection, pedal control(PDM) and if it is it will throw a code. with it running, check fuel flow at the FFM.

It could be a black hole for parts. Scrap metal is worth that much. You can't loose unless you have to get it running - then it can get expensive. You have been warned.

Now go buy the truck!

Its a northern truck, Its not too bad, It needs a good cleaning from sitting. Im gonna buy batteries this week. I dont know if im gonna buy it if it doesnt start. the interior is clean, No headliner drag. bucket seats, fully loaded. z71 edition too.

Are their any guys around the pittsburgh area that would wanna tinker with it with me?

Im not new to diesels but i dont know how to check for all the stuff your telling me lol

Any help would be great on this.

I went back today to try to jump it. It spun over but no attempt to start. The owner is a eldery gentleman who swears its the IP.

Now Is that something you can install yourself or is that have to be taken somewhere?

IP if that is not too difficult of a job, could be as simple as a loose gnd, or the driver module on the side of the IP, IP swap is what dealers did when driver module died because the module was attached to side of the IP, driver if in its OEM location needs to be moved out of engine bay any way, Leroy vendor here sells a decent priced replacement & relocation kit if we have to go there.

Yeah i know all about the relocating on the pmd. I planned on that. But im just concerned im gonna sink myself trying to get this right. Hes got a new turbo on it, injectors,exhaust. ect. all stock stuff. He said it idled where its park but had very LITTLE rpm with the pedal. Hes not sure if its gonna start and run or not. But now he wants 700. I figure its still a good deal. Im just concerned about buying it and it being a ip. I dont have the money for that. The lift pump i could do, same with the fuel filters and tps sensor but other then that. If that doesnt solve its issues, Im stuck with a dead truck in the driveway

Go there with 600 cash and use the other 100 to hire a tow truck if it doesn't start.

Can't lose on this one, methinks.

Sounds like a project truck no matter how you look at it.

If you can't have a dead truck in the driveway (rental property, parents driveway, spouse will kill you, etc) I wouldn't buy it.

If you're prepared to take a couple days crack at it and tow it away for scrap if it doesn't work out, it might be worth your 600 bucks.

Oh, that's another thing: the guy said 600 bucks. I'd hold him to that. That's the contract in my mind if you said you'd take it.

If you didn't agree to take it for 600, all bets are off......

Just my .02

Cheers

X2 to what BJ says, as for the $600 was unless I read the OP wrong that was for a truck that could start but had issues, now you are looking at a tow possibly ???? if it won't start and he really thinks it is IP impress upon him IPs run around $1000 so he needs to hold to original price so you can aford to tow it home or rent a trailer/dolly to get it home which will cost you extra fuel to get it home.

Yeah im gonna just show him 600 cash, I know hell take it if its in front of. cash talks bs walks. i got a buddy with a 6.0 2500hd thats gonna pull the uhaul trailer if they have one big enough lol. and its gonna sit in the corner of my driveway while i tinker. It shouldnt take long to get her running. first thing im doing is getting some batteries and seeing if it even starts. Hopefully it will.

Is their anyone in the surrounding pittsburgh area that could help me with a a IP if thats what it needed?

Jeremey

You will need to do a full diagnostic on the truck. You could have air in the lines, bad injectors, etc. Don't assume anything is bad AND don't assume "new" parts are good. These primitive electronics are both cheap and simple.

Post up a new thread asking local members for help when you get it. We will be here to help at a distance.

Back